Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does our new kitten, Mango, keep using our resident cat's dry food bowl as her litter box? 8O She has her very own litter box and she uses is too. Poor Bagheera and Smuj, I have to keep checking the bowl so they don't have to eat their food with her waste in it. I have had to throw out more food than I care to. I'm also shocked that she would do this because I always thought that cats don't like their food and litter box too close to each other. So why would she relieve herself on food??

I posted this question on another thread but thought I should start a new one since I needed to draw attention to my plea and hopefully get more responses. Please help if you can. :(

BritChipmunk responded in the other thread and suggested she might be showing dominance. Would a 9 week old kitten feel a need to show dominance? Does anyone else agree and if so, what can i do about this unusual behavior?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Is there any way you can move the older cats' bowl to a place where the kitten can't get to it? On a counter, bureau, table, or small bookshelf? I'm not sure about dominance, per se, since cats have a rather different concept of power and social structure than dogs, but Mango may be trying to mark and expand her territory by soiling the others' food bowl/area. Have there been any altercations or disputes over access to that particular food bowl? Even ones not involving the kitten...if the two older cats dispute the bowl, it's possible for the kitten to sense that and try to lay claim to it herself. In any case, getting that bowl out of Mango's reach might help with the problem.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you don't already do this, how about putting all of the food dishes right next to each other. Either that or remove the other cats' food dish and start putting their food in the kittens bowl for a while and see if this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all....

This is the only food problem we are having. I have taken away the resident cat's food bowl completely and replaced it with a very small stainless steel bowl (the one I took away is a large ceramic crock). Other than the seperate dry food bowls, they eat their treat of wet food together and with no problems. None of the cats have showed any other problem in the food department.

If anyone out there has more suggestions, in case this fails, please post!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I switch the dry food bowls for my cats on a regular basis and when I was serving Thomas kitten food, Kitty would eat his food all the time and he would eat her senior food. They really couldn't differenciate her food from his food or her bowl from his (since they changed all the time). So I never really had a problem with a possiveness of the bowls.

Maybe if you move the bowls to another location and add an additional bowl and continually swap one bowl out for another, the kitten will stop thinking that she needs to mark one of the bowls as hers.

I'm sure it could be a dominace problem. Thomas has been asserting that he is top cat over Kitty from day 1 (12 weeks).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it makes sense that it is a dominance problem. She is very pushy when it comes to eating and if she finishes her wet treat first she pushes the other two out so she can have theirs! :evil:

She has always had her own bowl of dry food since she spends her nights in a kennel. Her kennel also has her litter box in it and during the day the door is open for her and anyone else for that matter. Only Bagheera has gone in to use her litterbox and eat her food. :roll:

I tried to add kitten dry to adult dry to maybe show her it's all the same. I will try all the suggestions posted and hope for the best. Maybe in time she'll get over it!?

Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts