Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Missy. I have 2 cats. Both are spayed or neutered. Lucy is my short haired black and white, and my rescue. <3 Gizmo is my male. Ironically, he is my foo-foo kitty. He's a rather large, solid white Turkish Angora with one blue eye and one eye that changes from green to amber and back. He has absolutely no hearing issues whatsoever, but he is freakishly soft, and extremely particular about his long flowing coat. lol If her were a man he would be the Fonze. lol Constantly concerned with his appearance, yet willing to get dirty at any time! He loves baths when he's been outside playing hard and comes in all dirty. I love and adore both my babies, but I'm here right now b/c of my little Lucy.

My Lucy suddenly has a swollen nose and the swelling seems to be affecting how far she can open her eyes as well. I took her to the vet right away and the vet couldn't find any underlying causes. No wounds, scratches, or other signs of bites/trauma. She gave her an antibiotic shot in case the swelling might precede some sort of abscess and also prednisone which i'm giving her twice a day. 1/2 5 mg pill twice daily, tapering off later, you know the drill... This all started Friday, and today the swelling seems to now include her jawline as well. I'm freaking out that the vet missed something critical and I'm going to lose my precious baby. She had a fever of 106 Friday at the vet and when I took her temp today it was down to 104.1 but that is still a pretty bad fever. Friday I began giving her water by dropper b/c she is not eating or drinking. She's staying under my bed unless using the litter box. Today I went back to the vet who sold me some special canned food that I could mix with water and feed with a dropper to keep her nourished, but she is not showing any signs of improvement. I am at a loss here and hope that this sounds familiar to someone who can give me some insight as to what may be going on with my Lucy and what I can do to save her... Thank you so very much!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lois. I know the vet had a look inside her mouth. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed the cause down to a spider bite as Lucy is still not well, but today she ate a little food on her own and drank a little water on her own. She also became very animated when she heard me open a bag of Temptations hairball treats. She eagerly gobbled them up as if nothing was wrong. :D She's improving, but her little face is still swollen badly. :(

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow I was about to suggest the spider bite. I don't know about your place but here we have a recluse spider (the Chilean type, the worst of all) and i'm always terrified of its bite, that could actually kill a human being, most certainly cats. That's why I don't have any corner covered with furniture or big furniture that can't be moved, and I vacuum like crazy...

What about you take her for blood tests? I imagine that could clear any doubt. Maybe there are some medications specific for spider venom poisoning.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
It sounds like an allergic reaction! Have you changed cat foods,litter,flea stuff? A 2nd opinion and blood tests as suggested, are both GREAT ideas! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
472 Posts
SPIDER BITE~ Faint... I am allergic to spiders and get awful cratered sores where they bite me. Poor baby if that is the cause. Crap. As a red-head, I am allergic to half of everything.

I am so glad to hear she is eating. That is half the battle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts