Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in desperate need of help for my cat.

Recently my cat who is 3 years old was diagnosed with Leukemia. His red and white blood cell count is very low and he is anemic. He is very very lethargic 24/7.

I love my cat more than anything So 2 days ago ( 3 days after finding out he has Leukemia) I got him a blood transfusion. I Have him on Clavamox, Viralys, Baytril, Fatty Acids (fish oil), Mirtazapine to make him eat and I even have him on Feline Interferon Omega which is very expensive.

It is day 2 for all medications and day 2 after the blood transfusion and he is still very very lethargic. He only gets up to eat and drink. He sleeps all day and is not very responsive. I Took his temperature and it was around the normal range.

Please anyone have any advice. I do not know if I should bring him back to the doctor. I feel like they will try to only hydrate him and than want to put him to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Even if the doctor thinks he should be put to sleep, he can't do it unless you consent to it. I think it'd be best to get him back to the doctor. They could probably help more than hurt.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The best thing would be to take your kitty back to the vet for monitoring. Leukemia is very serious, and a blood transfusion most definitely is. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was very sleepy for a couple of days after that procedure. A vet can not put your kitty to sleep without your permission. A good vet doesn't want to euthanize an animal if there is something that can be done to help and the owner is willing to allow them to do so. They do everything they can to help within the limits owners give them. It sounds like you love your boy very dearly and are willing to do what you can to help him. If your vet isn't this way then I highly encourage you to find a new one. Please keep us updated on how your baby is doing!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound good for your kitty. I'm sorry. You can read about what I went through with my baby, Smokey, here: http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/139045-my-shmoo-isnt-doing-too-good.html.

Like your kitty, Smokey was very anemic and lethargic. Our vet get him a shot of Epogen and a shot of steroids. I'm not trying to scare you, but be prepared for the worst. Let us know how your kitty is doing.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/139045-my-shmoo-isnt-doing-too-good.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts