Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really concerned and I don't know what to do. Last Saturday was a perfectly normal day for Vequi. Sunday came and she is a totally different cat! She has spent most of yesterday, and today sleeping (or attempting to) on various places throughout the apartment. She is walking very slowly and can't (or doesn't want to) jump anymore. She shows little (close to none) excitement for playing, when she enjoyed to initiate tag play sessions, and would go crazy during play therapy to the point of being unstoppable. Now I have a nine month old kitten behaving like a senior cat!

On the other side, she is still eating, drinking water and using her litterbox, and she doesn't appear to be scared at me or anything else.

I'm puzzled. My mother and a couple of friends say Vequi may be maturing and therefore the change, but I don't think so. Why that radical change overnight? Is she sick? Can a spayed cat be moody because of hormonal changes? Should I do something about it, or should I just ignore her and let her come out of her newest shell?

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Was she JUST spayed?

I'm no expert, but if the change is really sudden (as you say, overnight) then it may be a sign that something is wrong...

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Could she have taken a fall or landed wrong and possibly be hurt?? Cats hide injuries and pain very well, but such a radical change in behavior could be a sign of something very wrong :(

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Hmmmm....sounds worrisome, Roberto. Unless there's some external trigger, some change or other stressor, it's unlikely to be a behavioral issue. Sounds like a medical issue to me. I hope it's nothing serious. Though I don't suppose it would hurt to wait a few days before calling for a vet appointment, unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Vequi seems to be doing better. Tuesday was like her worst day, she would even complain loudly if I tried to pick her up, so I think she has been in pain.

But last night, while I was having my dose of Oreo and milk, she couldn't resist any longer and jumped to the table. It was hard to show my excitement for seeing her jump again, while still keeping her off my snack. ;) After four nights sleeping comfortably, this morning my sleep was interrupted by a cat who jumped to my bed to meow and rub to get her breakfast! Finally my cat is comming back! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm glad she's doing better! :)

Kiera was being a bit of a snob to me the other night... I was laying down watching TV, and she decided to plop down next to my head, with her butt RIGHT in my face (which was made worse by the fact that she had recently gone to the bathroom, and her butt smelled a bit...). So I tried to gently push her away since that was... well... gross, and I get a nice hiss! Bah... Excuse me for not wanting a butt in my face wheN i sleep! ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Oh, I caught this thread late, but didn't have any suggestions, wonder why she wasn't feeling well? Anyway, glad she's doing better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts