Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do, everyone. On Tuesday (3days ago) Maggie (11 months) peed on the floor right on and next to the a/c vent that is nearest her litter box area (it's about 4 feet away, around the corner of the washer and dryer). I checked her litter box and it was in need of cleaning, so I chalked it up to being my fault completely for not attending to her litter properly. I was out of enzyme cleaner, so I used bleach & water and then sprayed some arm & hammer litterbox refresher in the vent and then I sprinkled some baking soda as well to absorb any remaining odors. Also completely changed her litter so she would have no complaints. All was well.

Today I was gone for a while and when I came home I checked that same area (b/c now I'm paranoid it'll become a habit) and though the floor right around the vent was dry, the vent had a puddle inside!!! I sopped it up, did the bleach thing and will be going to get enzyme cleaner after I post this. I don't know WHY she's doing this! She's always used her litter box with no problems. We've not changed litter brands or anything, and I checked her litter box and the litter is clean. We haven't had any issues like moving or new family members or pets lately so I just don't understand what this is about.

Maggie is spayed (since 6 months) and otherwise healthy and UTD on shots. She's a pleasant kitty and I'm baffled. What can I do to stop this? And what could possibly be causing this? I've never had a cat w/potty issues (except UTI) before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a considerable amount for a UTI, from my experience w/them anyway. Our last cat (a male) had them and it was just dribbles at best. Are females able to pee more w/a UTI?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you. I'll take her in to be checked for this. Until then I've cleaned the area as good as I can. The floor is linoleum and I took the vent off and scrubbed it and sprayed an enzyme cleaner into the duct, then sopped it up after a while and sprinkled baking soda inside. I also covered the area w/an upside down laundry basket. I PRAY this stops. If it becomes a habit my husband will not want to keep her inside :-( I've never had a cat do this before.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Let us know what the vet says. Hope you can get this habit cleared up soon. Laundry basket is a great idea! Makes sure litter is scooped 2x/day, and if there's still a problem get another litter box if you've only got one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't be able to take her in until Monday, but I'll let you all know what she says. Saturday we had another peeing incident. Not in the vent, since I covered it, but right in front of her litter box. I looked inside her litter box and it seems that she also peed a lot just inside it, as well. So I don't understand what happened there. And the box was clean, otherwise. Also, she'd peed down the side of the clothes dryer, which is right next to her litter area. She must have been sitting on it and peed down the side. I'm really baffled. She hasn't peed anywhere "soft" like my old cat used to when he had a UTI and it's doesn't seem like "marking", it seems to be just regular pee puddles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts