Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope ya'll can help me out with a couple of things that seem to be going on with my cat Mink. Mink lives indoors full time, always has since he was not much more than a little kitten when I took him in. Well, he has a couple small spots just below his neck where the fur has disappeared. The first place appeared about a week ago and the other a few days ago, they are right next to each other. I also noticed, around this same time period, what feels like small bumps on his skin, mostly under his neck. I brush and comb him every day and have not seen any fleas or other critters on him. I just don't know what is causing these little problems and would like your thoughts on this.
Also he has, for a while now, been licking his fur off, on his side mostly. He has done that in the past but stopped and his hair has grown back. Lately he has seemed to keep at it. I recently got him fixed and for a while it seemed like he stopped and his hair started to grow back, but then he started up again. I had talked to the vet about this and while he was having his surgery they checked his thyroid. The results from his thyroid test came back normal thankfully. I guess it could be some type of allergy or something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks and any thoughts on new food.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't thought about acne. this is the first time these bumps have shown up and like I said it has just been within the last week or so. I took Mink to have one of his ears seen about around three weeks ago and other than the prob with his ear he checked out fine. Of course, that was then.

As far as Mink being allergic to his food I think that is a very good possibility. He has had the licking hair off problem long before now and it would get better but this time not so much. One thing has been constant all along and that has been his food so he could very well be allergic to it.

He has always had Fancy Feast, and I know that is not a very healthy food for him but I have had a lot of trouble getting him to eat anything else. Any suggestions for a new food, something really healthy for him? He is a full time indoor cat. Mink is also, how shall I say.....a tad bit overweight. Well maybe more than a tad. you get the picture. What is a good way to get him eating a new brand as he is quite picky? I tried him on some Blue Wilderness and he seemed to enjoy it first off but then wasn't too interested. He knows I will always cave in and give him what he wants. He has really got me wrapped around his little paw.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
One other thing, some cats and dogs are allergic to plastic so if you're using a plastic dish for his food and water, try ceramic. Try a good quality food like Wellness, Evo, Natural Balance has some limited ingredient foods for allergy cats but you may not need allergy food, just something high quality. When you buy a new food try mixing just a little in with his fancy feast and gradually increase the amount of new stuff, decrease the fancy feast. I don't like by products in my cat's food, that is my main concern when reading ingredients. You really don't want any corn or glutens in there either. There's lots of other good brands out there, that's just a few. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice once again. This is truly a wonderful site with so many very knowledgeable and caring people, I am blessed to have found it. The bumps under his neck have magically disappeared. As fast as they showed up they went away even faster. I wonder what it could have been? I am not really sure but it looks like his fur is growing back on the three places I mentioned. However he still has the big places on each side where he has licked his fur off, it looks like he has been shaved. At least it is in a nice shape...haha.

Kitty crack.....how fitting. I don't know why I didn't think of mixing his new food slowly in with his old. Oh well, now I have a plan. I am going to PetSmart this weekend and start him on his new diet. I truly hope this switch to a new and healthy food will alleviate his fur licking problem as well as his weight problem. I definately need to cut out on his treats. I have gotten him to eating some Avoderm dry food for weight loss.

Thanks again ya'll.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts