Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the proper care/feeding of cats.

My cat had vomitted a few times [yesterday and this am] so I took him to the vet. xrays showed a major back-up. he had a fever and the dr gave him amoxicillin. he also gave him 2 enemas but nothing happened cause he wouldn't use their litter box. the dr thought he might be able to go once he was home but all he eliminated was 3 very small semi-hard balls and urinated once. the dr said we could feed him anything and to go about our normal routine with him. well...it is 8 hrs since we bought him home and he is still lethargic and other than what i mentioned above he still hasn't pottied.
my question...should he still be allowed to eat ? my fear is that he would get more blocked. he is crying near his empty bowl and i made a soupy mix of water and canned cat food. he glommed it right up but i'm not sure if it was the right thing to do.
any help or sugggestions you care to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying queen

the dr said he could eat anything he wanted. but i just don't think that makes sense considering he is so backed up already. we are supposed to call him tomorrow afternoon to let him know how bubba is doing but i think we'll be at his door the first thing in the am. he hasn't urinated any more either and that has me worried also. he did drink some plain water and the soupy mix i made so i'm surprised he didn't urinate ... i read the threads you posted [thank you] but neither said anything about feeding cats while they are still constipated.... so i'm still unsure of whether or not to feed him anymore till he goes.....thanks for your well wishes and i'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I know that Dr. Jean often recommends a gob of Vaseline. In human beings, not eating can bring on an impaction, which is not a pleasant condition. So I would feed him canned food and administer whatever meds the doctor ordered. If in doubt, by all means when you call the vet ask if you can give him something orally for the constipation.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
In this case, I would recommend finding another vet. There is no reason at all to give antibiotics, and a lot of reasons to do a lot more than what they're doing.

Vaseline will often help, but if he is really backed up, he needs to be anesthetized and, in vet lingo, to be "dug out." He probably won't be willing to eat until this is resolved. Please find someone who is willing to actually help this cat!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all your replies. I appreciate it. we wound up taking him to the er. the dr said she felt no fecal matter back-up. [believe me...i don't know where it went cause it was plainly visible on the xray from the day before which we bought along with us] however...she did find an enlarged liver and gall bladder. as he was stable she sent him home with only lactulose and told us to continue with the amoxicillin. we have an appt thurs for an ultrasound to see if he has an infection or tumor. if it's a tumor then he will have to go for a biopsy. she said it was ok to feed him canned food. he still hasn't pooped but he seems less lethargic. i just hope he does something soon. i am getting very antsy. i just hope the drs know what they're doing. thanks again for your concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. i am very happy to inform you the "constipation crises" is over. Bubba had a nice big bowel movement. he is back to his ole nosy self, running around the house looking for mischief. we are still taking him thurs for the ultrasound to see what's going on with his liver. thanks again for all your encouragement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts