Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone remembers when I posted in the Cats in Need section back in December when I was looking to find a home for our kitten Tom that we adopted from out local shelter and then he became ill and we found out he was in fact positive for Feline Leukemia. Anyway, my parents ended up adopting him as they don't have any other animals. Tom has been a great cat for them with such a sweet personality. I had high hopes that he would have a few good years with them. But it looks like he may have to be put to sleep tomorrow as he has become very ill the last few days. His breathing is so labored and he has no interest in food. The thing that makes it even worse is that it's his birthday tomorrow. The poor boy most likely won't make it past his first birthday. My parents and I agreed when they took him, that we wouldn't let him suffer, so if the vet feels that he is suffering then we will let him go. Please keep us all in your thoughts tomorrow, as this is such a hard thing for all of us as he is such a very special boy.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I hope Tom will have a good time in Cat heaven with all the other kittens there. I'm sorry for your grief and I hope it will feel better in the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Poor Tom...I really feel for you and your parents. It's truly a heartache to lose any pet, especially one who is so young.

He spent his last several months in the hands of people who really cared and loved him, and now he may have to be freed of his suffering...whatever happens, you should know that he has nothing but love for all of you.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I'm so sorry, Melissa. :( I will be thinking of you, Tom and your parents. I have such respect for anyone who adopts a special needs pet such as your parents did.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Poor Tom...I really feel for you and your parents. It's truly a heartache to lose any pet, especially one who is so young.

He spent his last several months in the hands of people who really cared and loved him, and now he may have to be freed of his suffering...whatever happens, you should know that he has nothing but love for all of you.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Poor little Tom :cry:
I remember reading about him back in December. I'm so sad he's gone downhill so quickly.
Please keep in touch if you can.

seashell

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to give an update on Tom. I took him into work with me this morning and my vet did x-rays and found that he had fluid all around his lungs. The fluid was compressing his lungs and he was only using about a 1/4 of them so this is why his breathing was so labored. Not sure exactly what caused the fluid, could be heart failure, could be FIP or could be Lymphoma, none of which are good. I decided to have my vet drain the fluid off of his lungs and give my parents a few more days with him and then when the fluid returns I will have him put to sleep. So anyway, please continue to keep us in your thoughts. I know that letting him go before he starts suffering is the right thing, but I guess I am just being selfish, it's so hard to let go.

Melissa

·
Registered
175 Posts
How very fortunate Tom found a love like yours and your family. You were a blessing in his life! Sorry you will need to let go of this precious baby. How tough it must be. :cry: You all are in my prayers. Susie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to my mom last night, and she said she was pretty sure he is starting to fill back up with fluid as he was starting to breath hard again. She said he kept trying to lay on there laps last night and just couldn't get comfortable. I think that tomorrow will probably be the day. I can't believe how upset I am over this, and he hasn't even lived with me since December. I just keep thinking how unfair it is that he will die so young. It's going to be really hard going over to my parents house once he is gone.

Melissa

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my husband took Tom in to be put to sleep yesterday evening. He said it was the kindest thing we could have done for him, as he was fighting for each breath he took. I brought him to our house and buried him. I'm going to plant a bunch of day lilies over him. Does anyone know where I could get a little head stone? I thought I remembered seeing some at petsmart, but went there yesterday and couldn't seem to find them. Anyway, thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

Melissa

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your parents, but you did the right thing. I have also seen some headstones in PetSmart, although never looked really closely.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your parents but just remember that somehere up there their will be an angel with the biggest smile on their face because in their lap will the the cutest, sweetest kitten purring his heart out. x

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that link. I think I may order one from them, they look really nice. Misty, thank you for what you said. It put a smile on my face just thinking about that.

Melissa

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Bless your hearts. You have all been so good to Tom. I'm sure he had a wonderful life. You know that God knows every sparrow that falls, and He is saddened by your pain. I believe that because He loves you and His little creatures that you will see Tom again. Like Misty, I believe Tom is in the arms of an angel and surrounded by love.

I wish you peace in your heart and wonderful memories, which will comfort you forever. God bless you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts