Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so aweful, I could just puke! I have tears in my eyes just thinking about how stupid I was! I had a very long day, a big snow storm is coming tomorrow, so I had to get all my errands done for a big get together we have this weekend. I was gone all day, and when I got home, I had horses whinnying to me, they wanted to be fed, and then I walk in the door, and I had kitties bombarding me at the door. I had to unload the truck yet, unpack, and as it is, my day was stressful already. I was trying to unpack, and feed kitties at the same time. I had put the grocery bags on the floor as I unpacked. The bags normally get thrown away. Lucy was nosing around in them, and somehow got one of the bag handles around her neck. At first she just walked with it a bit, and when I went to reach for her, she took off in full stride, fast, and totally scared. The bag finally came off, before I could reach her. She was so scared! She wouldn't let me near her, she thought I did this to her, and in a way, I did, it was my fault those bags were on the floor!

She was litterally beyond scared, and so nervous she crawled into the corner as close as she could. She batted at Pesty when he tried to console her, and she wanted nothing to do with me. When I finally convinced her to let me pick her up, she didn't want to be held. I noticed also, which really scared me, she was favoring her hind left leg. I'm just so angry with myself! I was so afraid she had hurt her leg, and just by looking at how scared she was, that she was never going to forgive me.

She finally came and sat in her little "waiting for dinner" box, and came running to the laundry room door where she gets fed, when I brought her dish in there. I think she's ok physically, but I'm going to just let her be for the night, and let her calm down. I just hope she doesn't hate me! :(

So please learn from my mistake. Don't let the kitties crawl around in anything they can get their heads stuck in. My heart sank when I saw how scared little Lucy was, and it could have all been prevented! :dis

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
I think we've all done this one, Geri. I had a scare a couple weeks ago when Charlee took off with the plastic handle around her neck. I kept thinking "Please don't snag on something, please don't snag on something" as she was running around until I caught her.

I've now, as of last week, gone back to putting the twins in their room while I put the groceries away. They no longer door-dash at all, but between playing in the bags and the LICKING that Cali does (am I the only one who can't STAND that noise?), it's just so much easier for me, and safer for them.

Lucy will forgive you. Our babies have short memories when it comes to Mom. :D I'll bet she'll be loving you up in no time.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Marie and John! :D Lucy actually jumped up on the bed behind me here in the office shortly after I posted this thread. With as scared as she was, I didn't expect her to come around me that quick. I was talking to her, calling her name, and she was doing the little silent and half meows to me. I went over to pet her, and she was purring too. I think she was letting me know she's ok, because after she's fed, and has a full belly, she never talks when I call her name. She had followed me out to the couch before too, and that's where she is now, curled up right in the corner sleeping. Phewwwwwwwwwww! I just felt so aweful!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
It has happened with our kitties, too. I've found they rarely get hurt (at least my few cat/bag/handle incidents never did) and they do forgive quickly when they see that the usual routine of food and affection hasn't changed.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Same thing happened here just 2 days ago...I was wrapping Christmas presents and Holly managed to get in a big paper shopping bag. Not only did she get her head through the handle, but her front paws too, so it was wrapped around her middle. She freaked before I could grab her, went flying through the house and then went behind the couch, where she snagged the bag and got stuck. I had to pull half the couch 2 feet away from the wall to get at her.

Both of us were pretty freaked out. But she calmed down pretty quickly and took a nap.

So it happens to all of at some point Geri, I'm sure Lucy has forgotten all about it already.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
We can't be perfect, Geri. That was not your fault. We don't have eyes in the back of our heads. I'm glad little Lucy is back to normal. Have a little cuddle together. :luv It sounds as if all is well.

Good advice and something to think about, but you couldn't have predicted it, Geri. Now that Lucy has forgiven you, you must forgive yourself. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Misty did that with Da Bird once. She was charging past me to get into a good position to ambush it as it passed and somehow got the string tangled around a leg. Then the stick was CHASING HER! She freaked, I freaked, Stormy freaked, but it all worked out OK.

Stormy gets her head through bag handles all the time, but luckily she just looks puzzled about why the bag (which normally just lays there) has suddenly started moving around.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you soooooooo much everybody! I feel really relieved knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened to, so thank you for sharing your stories. Lucy is her good old self this morning, as loving as ever. Her and Patches are snuggling on the bed behind me right now. The things they get into! :lol:

Thank you again! :D

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I dont think there is a cat owner out there that hasnt had the bag drama happen to them!!! :oops: :yikes It happened to me just the other day! Youd think Id know better by now! I had a bunch of Target bags all stuffed into target bag hanging on the side of wire elle organizer.

Only the Lord knows how but my foster kitty Spike got his head into the handle hole. He streaked thru the house with this huge bouncing bag. He felt like it was chasing him and he couldnt get away from it! He ran under my bed but it wouldnt dislodge. Kept going & streaked thru the house again to under my counch.. still wouldnt dislodge. You should of seen all the cats scatter when they saw this big bag chasing poor Spike. Some friends they are in a time of need! I finally got him and took it off but his little heart was beating furiously! :patback

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Lucky has done the same thing except it was a plastic bag...and his head was trapped inside. He freaked, I freaked, and my daughter freaked. He went tearing up the stairs, banged into a couple of walls and finally ran under my daughter's bed. My daughter and I were right behind him. I moved the bed, while my daughter got Lucky and untangled him from the bag. Once the bag was off his head, he jumped out my daughter's lap, and ran and hid in my closet. It took him a few hours to calm down, but my daughter and I were more shaken up. When Lucky finally came out from my closet, my daughter and I practically smothered him with kisses. He looked at us as if to say, "I'm fine. Now leave me alone!"

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me years ago when I was cat-sitting for a friend. The poor puss-cat wasn't hurt, but avoided me for the rest of the time I was there. I think it was worse because she didn't know me. I felt awful. But she did forgive me eventually - whenever I visited my friend after this episode she was fine with me.
My friend forgave me as well :D

seashell

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, I've really appreciated you sharing your experiences with me, it's made me feel so much better about this. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has had this happen. It is good to be reminded once in a while though, about the things that can happen. It maybe makes us think a bit more about the things we leave laying around.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Never had this happen with a bag, although Nito loves to play with plastic bags. He loves the sound they make, and apparently they have a silky soft texture to him or something, because he loves to lay among them!

I have had a cat somehow get a balloon string stuck to his collar. Boy, watching him take a few steps, then turn around all wide-eyed like "WTF! Why is this balloon following me??!" It was quite funny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No bag for me either, one of my cats did jump up on a table and got its head stuck in, of all things, a plastic cup. There was nothing in the cup to tempt him, and certainly no reason to reach all the way to the bottom. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I found him wandering around with his head trapped. >.< He was ok, but what a fright!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hahaha. I had the same thing happen with a pack of Pepperidge Farm cookies. I had just finished the bag and went in the other room to do something. When I can back, poor Twitch was wandering around with the bag stuck on his face. When I pulled it off it make a huge sucking sound. Thank God I was home or he could have suffocated, but I did have to laugh. He looked so funny!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts