Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

As you may have read in my other posts, I recently adopted 2 kittens from the RSPCA in Kent. They were weaned from their mum with Whiskas pouches in jelly. I'd like to try and get them to eat 1/2 their diet in wet and 1/2 in dry. The problem is that I can't seem to get them interested in anything but the Whiskas. I might not have a problem with them having their diet in wet, with dry left out for snacking, but unfortunately in the UK we don't get the premium brand choices you get in the US (Wellness, Chicken Soup, etc). And I don't want to feed them Iams, Science Diet or Euk. because of their attitudes toward animal testing.

I've read other threads on the forum which strongly discourage slowly mixing the dry bits with their wet food because of bacteria issues.

Can anyone please offer me some advice on what to do?

Thanks much!
Beth

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I had a kitten that at first all she ate was wet cat food and I hadn't yet heard of the mixing issues dealling with bacteria. I would recommend trying to get them to eat the very soft (yet dry) pellets. They are still soft but there is no "gravy" at all. I would mix the wet and dry dood but AS SOON AS THEY ARE DONE IT NEEDS TO BE THROWN AWAY!!! I did this and now she eats dry food all the time and I give them some wet food about once or twice a month as treats. Nothing ever happened to my kitty mixing, but only do it if you feel comfortable and have researched what vets say. Hope that this helps.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I think feeding an all wet diet for your kitties will be better than feeding them a dry diet. Dry just has alot of carbs but wet has all the nutrients you would need to feed them primarily a wet diet. Even a lesser brand of wet is better than a dry diet of any kind. :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kim / Tigeress,

I actually thought about keeping them on an all wet diet; I know the extra moisture and nutrients is good for them. But when I considered it further, I thought, what if I need to go away for a long weekend? There isn't really a good way to feed them their food. I don't live in an area where someone can pop by to give them dinner. And the automatic feeders for wet food only give a max of 2 meals each. They also have pretty smelly poos with the wet food and I thought the dry might help with that. Being in the UK, we don't have the premium choice canned food you do in the States, but we can find some good dry brands (Royal Canin is available here). :D

I guess I'll try some soft kibbles and maybe mix little by little and throw away whatever they don't finish after 30 minutes. Should I leave out a small bowl of dry for them to try snacking on in-between their regular meals? (I feed them 4 small meals a day now).

Thanks,
Beth

·
Registered
90 Posts
Beth,
I would try leaving one bowl of dry out for them, I have four cats, two of them just over 8 months old and two just over a year old. If they all share from the same bowl they teach each other to eat the dry. Eventually they will turn to the dry food themselves, they seem to prefer it, just have to get used to it. I wouldn't mis it though, especially with the warm weather. Have sent you a couple of pm's. I give mine a tiny bit of Hi Life in the morning and a tiny bit in the evening, but they feed free on the dry during the day.
:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't think feeding free is a good idea. You can't control how much they are eating.

I used to leave some dry food during the day only when the kittens were small (less than 6 months) because I wasn't home and I couldn't feed them 3 times a day. That way, I fed them 2 times a day with wet food and left dry food through the day. After they were spayed I changed their schedule of feeding to 2 times a day. Now they get only wet food.

It's ok to mix the dry w/ wet as long as you don't leave it out for a long time. I would say one hour max.

I'm surprised you can't find any good wet food. I'm wondering if Zalensia could help you out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I wish that all my cats would cooperate and all eat at the same time but they don't so I have no choice but to free feed w/ dry food. Plus I work 11-12 hrs a day and I am not able to come home and feed them. I would like to start a feeding schedule for them but they are difficult and picky. How often should I feed them? I leave for work at 6:30 am and return at about 7:00 PM. Could I only feed them twice a day? But another thing is My cats all range frome ages 13 yrs-11 weeks so aren't the nutritional needs (especially for the little one be different?) and they are all used to free feeding since it's all I've ever done....just wondering

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
kitkat said:
Even a lesser brand of wet is better than a dry diet of any kind. :wink:
Not true -- there are some really crappy wet foods out there. :( Good luck with the switching -- sometimes the best remedy is hunger. Wet for breakfast, dry for dinner maybe. If they don't eat the dry after a half hour, then give them some wet, and keep trying this. Also -- if nothing works, you *could* mix the foods together but just be sure not to let it sit. If they eat it right away then it should be okay.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
sentimentalgirl said:
I don't think feeding free is a good idea. You can't control how much they are eating.
I free feed my cats a little bit of dry food everyday in between their morning and evening canned foods. I measure out exactly same amt. everyday for both of them and they both eat it equally and its usually gone by the next morning when I need to refill. I say equally b/c I see them both at the food bowl same amt. of times and not one is eating all the time, etc. I guess it depends on the cat :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I don't think that's the "free feeding" they were talking about, kitkat... :lol: They don't have a constantly full bowl and they eat a measured portion each day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts