Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cat joined my strays' colony a couple weeks ago and he's obviously a very well trained, sweetly natured, house cat. I put up notices everywhere but no one claimed him. He won't survive in the streets, he's too trusting and noble and gentle for the tough feral life. I'm not allowed pets by the landlord, so I can't keep him. My heart breaks each time I put him out to the streets (I've been keeping him for short whiles in my apt. when it's been too cold and rainy).

Must I be strong and shoo him away next time he follows me or waits for me outside the building?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Oh boy that would break my heart as I know it does yours. Bless you for being as kind as you have been. Is there any way you could help get him adopted? Since he is so well trained, he would have an easier time getting adopted. Since you are not allowed pets, maybe there are rescue groups in your area which could take him in, provide vet care and ensure he is healthy before getting adopted. The other thing, maybe you could "hide" him while trying to get him adopted???

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would also post ads with a pic on the internet such as Petfinder, Craigslist, Humane society lost and found page, etc. You can look at the site's lost section to see if someone has reported this cat missing. And you can also post in the found section and hope that someone claims him. Even if this cat's owner does not have a computer, maybe someone who knows the owner and cat will see it and contact them.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply. I really am a bit desperate.

I can't hide him because the super knows and he's terribly mean, he calls my landlord to complain about me for things I didn't do, like wearing high heels in the apt. (I don't even own shoes, only tennis shoes and slippers), imagine if I had a cat...

I have to put up more notices and web ads, yes. I haven't put up enough. But no one has reported him as lost either in the neighborhood or the websites. I've registered at vets around the area, the major animals organizations, etc.

I'm thinking of asking the landlord if he can let the cat stay until I can find the owner or someone to adopt it. But I'm afraid he'll say no and I'll have to dump him in the street. Right now the cat's sleeping next to me, he only wants to be on my knee all the time. He's beautiful and so dependent on people!!! He never uses his teeth or claws, he's so well behaved. And he's used to being held in the same position as a baby to sleep.

My father is very sick in hospital and I have no one else in the world. I really want this cat. But finding another place to live and moving on such short notice is impossible, what with having to work all day and be with my father in the hospital the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to say - pets are certainly allowed in this building. It's just that landlords don't usually allow pets in the apts. they rent out.

·
Banned
951 Posts
I would do one of two things if I were in your shoes: keep the cat until I found a new home or shelter that would take him OR ask the landlord for permission to keep him until you find a new home for him.

The second way is by far the least stress-inducing, but only, obviously, if the landlord gives you permission.

If he does, however, who's to say how long it'll take to find the kitty a new home? Maybe even as long as it takes to find yourself a new place that allows you to have pets? :wink

Either way, I think... no, I know (I've done it more than once), as scary as it is, I'd take the risks and bring that kitty inside. No way would I put him back out.

I applaud your compassion!

AC

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Nobody at the rescue agencies can take him until you find the owner or adopt him? I am sorry about your dad in the hospital. This must be a very stressful time for you. I hope everything works out. Please keep us updated.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here could help???

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
It's quite likely he was left behind when someone moved out. There are WAY too many thoughless and cruel people in the world. I would ask permission of the landlord to foster/house him until you find him a good home. You could hook up with a pet shelter that advertises on PetFinder.com and they could post him there for you while you foster him. Provide pictures and as much info as possible and he should find a new home in no time. I have found most of my cats on PetFinder.com.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I asked the landlord and he gave me 1-2 weeks to get rid of the cat. So I'm putting him out today already. No sense in prolonging the agony. I'll continue looking for a solution for him anyway - a rescue, an adoption, the owners.

·
Banned
951 Posts
Well, I asked the landlord and he gave me 1-2 weeks to get rid of the cat. So I'm putting him out today already. No sense in prolonging the agony. I'll continue looking for a solution for him anyway - a rescue, an adoption, the owners.
Wait, what?

He gave you and the cat two weeks together and you're putting him outside in the cold now?

I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me... did I miss something?

AC

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said, this agony of returning him to the street will be a lot worse in 1-2 weeks than today, for both of us. And I know this landlord - he'll make me redecorate this ruined apt., claiming it was the cat. He's a terrible miser and he hates cats, and he already made me put it in writing that any mark or stain the cat leaves during this week I have to pay as new. Since the apt. is ruined, it's full of marks and stains, so he'll make me pay for the whole apt.

I've stopped feeding the colony as well. I'm not good at this. I get too compassionate and attached and then I want to save the cats and I get in trouble. I let 4 cats inside during the cold and rainy nights and they peed outside the litter box I set for them, and the neighbors complained. I shouldn't have trusted the super when he kept telling me that it was ok, that I had his permission and that was all I needed. Then the super suddenly and without warning turned against me, pressured by the neighbors.

On a sad night like this, I envy anyone who owns property and has the means to shelter some poor strays. I read the stories on this forum and I so wish I could be like the others here who can put food and water out in their porch and neighbors aren't allowed to trespass and steal it from the cats to make them die of hunger, like they do to me here because I feed in a public spot.

I should've never started caring for strays, as I'm so powerless to help them. I'm an idiot. Sorry for this thread.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 2 cats in a 'no pet' apartment. I also have two house bunnies.

I dont know about your landlord and how often he is around, but my letting agents visit every 6 months (theyre like 2 months overdue now!) for an inspection which lasts less than ten mins (basically to see if i have destroyed any doors are walls it seems they are that superficial)

This is in a brand new apartment, but me and my animals are very non destructive and clean so I can easily make it look as if nobody lives here but me and my other half lol.

Basically the gist of it to me is, it is possible to hide pets :p

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gloworm, the landlord never comes. The super comes into the apt each time something has to be fixed (which is often, in this ruined apt) so there's no way I can hide the cat from him. He swore to me that he'd never tell the landlord, and the super himself encouraged this cat in one night it rained heavily (that's how I met this cat). However, the super's first loyalty is to the landlords, and he's shown me this week what a traitor he is, by putting up signs forbidding strays to enter the building WHILE AT THE SAME TIME encouraging me to bring the cats inside AND ENCOURAGING THE CATS TO COME INSIDE, POOR THINGS, only to have the neighbors literally kick them out with their heavy boots !! So I can't trust the super at all. He does a double game of caring for the strays and being cruel to them. He's a horrible person.

·
Registered
226 Posts
straysmommy:
i know how you feel, i am going through the same thing myself, i want to help all the stray cats in the world but i can't but i know if i can help one to save his/her life from starving i would. i am feeding bunch of strays ,i just can't allow myself not to when i see they are hungry and no one helps and their desperate look for some food, they are helpless. except one and his kitten which i shelter in my patio, the other couple ones i put food in different location around my area at nite when no one can see, at least they have foods to eat, they are feral and not be able to get too close to them.i have been doing these for months.
in your case this cat seems to be friendly and passionate one so it is easyier to be adopted, it will take some efforts to get him adopted. put an add in craigslist in pet section with his pics. landlords always find bunch of reasons to not give your deposit back anyway, so please don't turn your back on him now that you already started to help. he needs you.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, you're all a bunch of nudges, so I had to do something about it. Update: cat's staying with me in the apt. for 1 month (if they give you 2 weeks, grab 1 month!), at the end of which I'll ask the landlord to come for coffee and "a talk" about renewal of our contract. During which talk I hope to convince him to let me keep the cat, hinting clearly that he may get stuck with worse (human) beasts as tenants than me and my innocent cat if he throws me out.

If worse comes to worst and landlord still says no, it'll be spring here then and not cold (it doesn't rain here from Feb for 8 months, and it's warm from mid-Feb), and the cat will go to my friend's yard to live together with her yard cats (all food, vet bills, shelter gear and treats on me, even though she still adamantly refuses any money and the donation I plan to give her for the maintenance of her many cats.). During all that time I'll be looking to move to a place where pets are allowed by contract and I'll then take the cat from her yard with me. Hopefully a studio on a farm where I can keep and feed lots of strays in my own yard.

All because of you! ;-)

And now the little prince is sleeping on my lap after his seafood gourmet dinner... and straysmommy is blissfully happy!

And Prince now has stayed successfully alone for 6 hours in the apt. without so much as a complaint, so I don't have to let him out when I go out anymore, yay!.

Congrats to all of you, you've converted a cat condemned to death into a totally pampered and loved Prince!

And my dad is doing much better, he even smiled and laughed through the respirator today.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Thank you!! You are a saint for being so kind to this kitty. I'm glad your dad is pulling through.

Can you please post a pic of this little sweetie kitty?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts