Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been feeling terribly sorry for my cats. My heart cringes thinking of them and coming back home from work in the evening. They're always sitting there, don't even go out these days, always waiting for me, to play with them, give them attention, pet them... My stomach is upset from all the pain. What kind of a life is that, maybe they were better off as strays living in the streets...? I feel such sorrow, pity, compassion... I have moments I feel I'm choking from what I've done taking them in and such a huge responsibility.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
....... coming back home from work in the evening. They're always sitting there, don't even go out these days......What kind of a life is that...... I feel such sorrow, pity, compassion.
You want them to compose a symphony or write a Pulitzer prize winning novel while you're at work? Maybe win a Nobel Peace Prize? They're cats...... they sit around whether they are inside or outside. You've described over and over and over and over the strays being starved for attention when you go down to feed them... how is that different than your inside cats?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
They're cats...... they sit around whether they are inside or outside.
So right!

Guy, my outside friend, loves to sit around if I'm working outside. He doesn't want inside even thought there are coyotes, raccoons and possibly a threat from raptors outside.

I know the sort of thing you're feeling. How can you know when a cat is satisfied with its life?

There's Missy over there sleping in her bed on the couch. I'm not sure what she'd prefer to be doing. Probably eating if I put human food (chicken) out for her. She comes to me and meows. I do all that I can think of for her. It's no good. Then she shrugs (that's what it feels like), and it's off to the window to check for birds. Or off to one of her sleeping spots.

Have you considered getting them an iPad. :razz:

·
Registered
180 Posts
They probably sleep the whole time you're home and only get up when they know it's time for you to come so they can guilt trip you into spoiling them rotten :)

My cat is most active in the early morning and evenings. When I'm home on the weekends and can observe her, she actually does sleep hours during the middle of the day. Don't feel badly. They are safe, happy, and worried and fretted over...it's a much better life than being infested, chased and in danger while living out on the streets.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a single cat, so he doesn't even have the advantage of having other cats around to play with.

All I can say is, he's a very happy guy. I think cats adapt to almost any circumstance they're in. They don't have the mental ability to compare or contrast anything, so they just accept whatever situation they're in. I bet your kitties are very content.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you, guys I'm starting to feel better... What hurts me the most is that their worlds seem to revolve around me. They hardly ever choose something over being with me, on my lap, playing (with wand toys) with me, sleeping next to me. If I hang the same toy up, they won't even look at it, but if I wave it myself, any toy is great fun. They're like music boxes that stand still until the moment I come near them and then they start to dance. I guess this is because they were rescued from the streets, so no consideration whatsoever was made to affinity potential, and they don't trust each other one bit, they fear each other and moving around is dangerous for them. Part of me says this is better than the streets, but part of me, especially now that I'm not protecting them from the cold and rain, feels very guilty. If I open the door, however, they don't want to go out or leave, they're VERY sure they want to be home, so I guess it's better for them this way....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why not get a mechanical toy ? I have a toy that wobbles and has like a raccoon type tail on it and it wiggles around the floor and my cats go nuts with it cause it brings out the predator in them sneaking up on it and pouncing. I also saw a toy the other day that turns on every 15 mins or so and wiggles a mini wand/feather thing. You suction cup it to a door or wall and it turns on thru out the day. This could give their day a little pick me up.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, sounds nice! Do you have the name or a link?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
When I was a one cat rookie and told my vet I wa sthinking of agetting another so that Fay wouldn't be lonley during the day she said "You don;'t need to, they just sleep all day". Weekends have proven this to be true.

Also, did you see "Must Love Cats" this weekend? Did you see all the cats in cages? That's where they'd be if it weren't for you

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about I leave their dry food in several places around the house where they have to be a bit creative to be able to eat, like in a small cardboard box they have to sneak into, a big bag they have to get into, an ajar cabinet door, a half-lidded box and such?

Nah, they'll wait for me to come back home and meow for me to put food on a plate. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
i feel guilty about leaving our kitties at home too while we are at work, but the days that i take off work, i realize like what the others have said, they sleep and/or just lounge anyway.

as long as you acknowledge them and give them love when you are home, i'm sure they are more than content with that :)

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
They have each other,and the run of the house. They're probably VERY happy! But your straymommy's intuition seems to be picking something up. See if you can take them visiting cat-loving friends,or perhaps a nature walk-if possible. ALWAYS harnessed or on a carrier.

My Robin is a social butterfly who likes to see the big ol' world and his human 'fan club' lol! I get him out at least once a day.

But NO cat wants to be on the streets.

OH! and if you take them out in nature, be sure they're Frontlined!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey strays! hello...I never thought about what cats do during the day...My wife has been home most of our married life so I guess I never gave it much thought as to what cats do when the 'parents' are at work....As for my three over the years, they heard and learned the sound of my car or door and mostly would be at the door when I came in......and they would greet me.....another thing I used to do when I wondered where they were was to hollar "Headcount!" and very shortly they would come from whereever they were...then a treat or some petting and off they would go again. (Probably to sleep).
IN your case, why not get a nannie camera and film the main room where they might be and see what happens...maybe close off BR doors etc to minimize where they might sleep? Probably a useful investment for other purposes too.
BEcause our cats are stictly indoor cats, I mounted two dog kennels in porch windows that they can sit in and feel the outside air, sleep in the sun, or watch the front yard (north exposure) and occassionally talk to the less fortunate strays that dot the neighborhood in the city. they are up high enough to make face to face touching not possible....tho this won't work for most owners, it gives them something to do when us adults don't have time to play.....to get to the porches, I installed cat doors btw.

I'm guessing your cats 'know' when it is time for you to arrive...if you do the camera and you come home about the same time each day, I wonder what they will do if you are late? (on purpose for the test).....

·
Registered
350 Posts
How about I leave their dry food in several places around the house where they have to be a bit creative to be able to eat, like in a small cardboard box they have to sneak into, a big bag they have to get into, an ajar cabinet door, a half-lidded box and such?

.How about I take a short piece of toilet paper and hold it above little Kermit kitten and watch him jump to grab it and I used to let it flutter to the floor and he would pounce on it? It was fun for both of us till wife broke up the game...."You Idiot, do you know what you are teaching him?" Duh,,,now if a roll of T paper is left out, he will shred it...even do it on the holder..paper towels too...ten years later SHE still brings this shredded mess to me and stares at me...Kermit and I just look at each other and smile.

Ajar cabinet door? Didn't have to teach CC to do that and now the bottom of the door has peeled paint and laminate at about his height...tho now it is a memento...bags were always fun...one would hide in them and attack whoever walked by...(another cat that is).

but I think you are assured that they are fine while you are away...and they are lucky to have found you.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
When you're home pamper them and pay attention to them. Spend 'quality time' devoted just to them. Make sure you get in at least 3 hrs of play time a week.

Enrich their environment. Those little cat grass things from PetSmart are for wimps. I bought the munchkins a sq yard of sod last Saturday and put it out by the pool (which is enclosed). What, you don't have an 1800 sq ft screend in pool enclosure for your cats? Shame on you. It's the only reason I have it. They hang out on or under the beach chairs that I draped towels over and put towels under so that they can have kitty pool cabannas. The towels need to be changed every 2 days or sooner if it rains.

Someone mentioned feeder crickets the other day. Release some feeder crickets in the house and let them chase them down. If they breed that's a plus. You won't have to buy more.

Nip, sit down and share some nip with them several nights a week. You can substitute alcohol for yourself.

I'm not so sorry for my kitties after all, they have it pretty good.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The truth is most cats sleep a lot during the day....and don't second guess yourself that you're giving them a less interesting life.....scrounging for food, watching out for predatory dogs, hawks, coyotes, bully cats, having to brave extreme heat and cold, getting sick from infections, fleas, parasites......and only having a life span of maybe 3-5 years at best....your cats are living the goood life with a human that adores them! Pat yourself on your back!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys are right. Each time I get into one of those guilt-trips again where I think they're bored and under-stimulated, I'll come back and reread this thread.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.