Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
350 Posts
Hey strays! hello...I never thought about what cats do during the day...My wife has been home most of our married life so I guess I never gave it much thought as to what cats do when the 'parents' are at work....As for my three over the years, they heard and learned the sound of my car or door and mostly would be at the door when I came in......and they would greet me.....another thing I used to do when I wondered where they were was to hollar "Headcount!" and very shortly they would come from whereever they were...then a treat or some petting and off they would go again. (Probably to sleep).
IN your case, why not get a nannie camera and film the main room where they might be and see what happens...maybe close off BR doors etc to minimize where they might sleep? Probably a useful investment for other purposes too.
BEcause our cats are stictly indoor cats, I mounted two dog kennels in porch windows that they can sit in and feel the outside air, sleep in the sun, or watch the front yard (north exposure) and occassionally talk to the less fortunate strays that dot the neighborhood in the city. they are up high enough to make face to face touching not possible....tho this won't work for most owners, it gives them something to do when us adults don't have time to play.....to get to the porches, I installed cat doors btw.

I'm guessing your cats 'know' when it is time for you to arrive...if you do the camera and you come home about the same time each day, I wonder what they will do if you are late? (on purpose for the test).....

· Registered
350 Posts
How about I leave their dry food in several places around the house where they have to be a bit creative to be able to eat, like in a small cardboard box they have to sneak into, a big bag they have to get into, an ajar cabinet door, a half-lidded box and such?

.How about I take a short piece of toilet paper and hold it above little Kermit kitten and watch him jump to grab it and I used to let it flutter to the floor and he would pounce on it? It was fun for both of us till wife broke up the game...."You Idiot, do you know what you are teaching him?" Duh,,,now if a roll of T paper is left out, he will shred it...even do it on the holder..paper towels too...ten years later SHE still brings this shredded mess to me and stares at me...Kermit and I just look at each other and smile.

Ajar cabinet door? Didn't have to teach CC to do that and now the bottom of the door has peeled paint and laminate at about his height...tho now it is a memento...bags were always fun...one would hide in them and attack whoever walked by...(another cat that is).

but I think you are assured that they are fine while you are away...and they are lucky to have found you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.