Discussion Starter #1
Miu = 7lbs, female, 1.5 yrs
Cap'n Jack = 9lbs, male, 2 yrs

Currently I am feeding them the following

Morning:
Miu = 2.0oz wet canned Nature's Variety Instinct
Jack = 2.6oz wet canned Nature's Variety Instinct

Dinner
Miu = 1.4oz raw with bones (any combo of beef, chicken with quail)
Jack = 1.6oz raw with bones (any combo of beef, chicken with quail)

Snack
Miu and Jack get a small palmful of Acana.

1) I recently switched the snack to Acana from Orijen. Just this small switch and I find that both of them are going nuts in the morning. Is it because of the decreased protein?

2) Also, do you guys think this is an appropriate diet for the two of them, quantity-wise?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
"Small palmful" is too vague to be helpful.

Are you including organ meats to balance the raw meals?

Assuming the daily consumables are nutritionally balanced, quantity really isn't the appropriate measure. The only way to properly evaluate a diet is by its effect on the animals. Are your cats at optimal weights? Are they healthy and energetic? If the answers to those questions are yes, then you're feeding exactly the right amounts. If your cats are underweight, feed more. If they're overweight, feed less.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh how silly of me. Yes well. I've 'felt them up' (haha), they are at optimal weights right now. Miu is very energetic. Jack has always been quite schmoozy, doesn't really run around a lot. The most he does is a brisk walk while Miu actually zooms around the house sometimes. When I took Jack to the vet end of last year, he said Jack's at his optimal weight. Jack's very muscular while Miu is lithe.

I'm not sure how to explain the small palmful. I actually use one of those Delmonte plastic fruit cup containers. The kibble is enough to just cover the bottom of the container. Jack would get a bit more because he's heavier.

I was talking to someone and they recommended that although Miu's energy levels were higher, I should play it safe and feed them Acana instead of Orijen. So now that I noticed them acting more 'frenzied' should I say, in the mornings before breakfast.... I am assuming perhaps the lower protein levels are causing this?

About the organ meats, no. I haven't been able to figure out what to do with that. That's why I feed the wet and the dried kitty crack, hoping that would help balance out their diet. The portions I find at the grocery stores are huge packages. Do these keep well in the freezer? Because the organ portion of the diet is so little. I'm afraid the supplies will go bad or something before I got a chance to use them.

I do occasionally give them a bit of canned sardines packed in water for the omega-3. But it's not often because I don't want them fixated on fish.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I'm not sure how to explain the small palmful.
Use a small measuring cup to figure out exactly how much you're feeding. That way you'll know how to make fine adjustments if you need to in the future.

I was talking to someone and they recommended that although Miu's energy levels were higher, I should play it safe and feed them Acana instead of Orijen.
I don't understand the logic here. Why would Acana be "playing it safe"?

So now that I noticed them acting more 'frenzied' should I say, in the mornings before breakfast.... I am assuming perhaps the lower protein levels are causing this?
I have no idea. I am not personally acquainted with either of these foods.

The portions I find at the grocery stores are huge packages. Do these keep well in the freezer?
Yes, they will keep just fine in the freezer. Package them airtight in quantities that you can feed within 2-3 days after thawing,

Laurie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts