Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Our newest kitty, Mooie, has been diagnosed with a form of leukemia called polycythemia vera. We had to take her to the e clinic about a month ago, she was very dizzy and disoriented -- couldn't walk properly...it was really scary, like her back legs wouldn't work right. They found that her platelet (red blood cell) count was over 70. 30-40 is normal. Her blood was so thick they had to take out blood and replace with sterile fluid several times over the course of her stay at the hospital. Since then she's seemed fine, only we've had to take her to our regular vet for weekly blood tests. Her blood cell count has been creeping up week by week. The vet just called me to say it was up to 53 (last week was 47 and the week before 39). Also the blood test of her erythropoetin finally came back, and was below normal, which falls into place with her other symptoms, and finalizes the diagnosis. The vet wants to try her on a medication called hydroxyurea which retards the bone marrow from producing too many red blood cells. Her blood would still need to be monitored. The vet says she could still have a good quality of life on the medication, and she does seen happy and content lately, even though she hasn't started the med. I wondered if anyone knew of, or had a cat with this condition who had been on the medication. I don't want Moo girl to suffer any bad side effects, she is such a sweet girl! :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've never had to go through this, but I'm sure someone else can help! I know lukemia is a hard thing to go through, but she can still live happily with it. Keep your chin up and purr right along with her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts