Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the unsubtle subject heading but it seemed like a good place to begin. I'm looking for help and advice for my two little kitties because I'm worried they may be sick.

Apollo and Athena are about 14 weeks old and I've had them a couple of weeks now and they're settling in nicely. When I got them from the breeder they were fully litter trained and until now we've not had any problems.

Then last night when I was going to bed, as I was walking upstairs the kittens ran ahead of me and when I got to the bedroom Athena was sitting in the middle of the bed in a huge puddle of wee. She tried to cover it up with the bed cover bur obviously couldn't. Well I calmly took her downstairs and put her and Apollo in their room, which is where they normally sleep. I looked on the forums here and saw it could be a UTI, but as it was a one off I thought maybe she just got overexcited and didn't want to leave Apollo and had just had an accident. She's quite a nervous kitty and follows Apollo everywhere and she doesn't like to miss out on what he's doing.

Well anyway, I went to work the next morning and thoughtI'd give the litter trays a good scrub when I get home in case she's objecting to the litter being dirty. I use a good clumping litter and pick the clumps out regularly but I hadn't cleaned out the whole lot yet.

So I got home early this morning (I'm on a weird schedule today) and found their cat tunnel outside the front door. My boyfriend, who works from home, was fuming because there was cat poo inside it. We went upstairs because it smelt up there too, and in a pile of clothes waiting to be washed there was more poo. By now he's threatening to get rid of Athena and I'm trying to calm him down! Both poos were very loose and smelly. When I got the kittens the breeder was feeding them Felix Adult because she said the kitten food have them loose stools, but I didn't like the idea of giving them adult food so I've switched them to Felix agail kitten with some occasional Hill's as that seems to have a higher meat content. So I thought this might be the cause of the loose stools, maybe it's just too rich?

So I decided that I definitely needed to clean out their litter box to rule that out and I let them out of their room while I cleaned it. They often follow me round, and when I went upstairs to get something from the bathroom they were both jumping in and out of the bath. Then as I'm standing there Apollo does a poo in the bath! He didn't seem upset at all and tried to cover it up, but I couldn't understand why he didn't try to go to the litter box. So three poos dotted around the house, and now I'm not sure if it's one or both of them. So this poo was again very loose and had some blood and maybe mucus on it.

By now I'm panicking and it's straight onto the phone to the vet to make an appointment. I looked through the forum for "bloody stool" and it seems it may not be as serious as I first thought it could be, but hopefully I'll know more after the vet.

In the mean time any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Sorry for the incredibly long rant, but hopefully someone will have an idea of what I need to do. :(

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
There may be a couple of things at play here. The first is health and the second is behavioral. For the health part, I would take them both to the vet and rule out parasites etc. for the pudding poop and UTI.

For the behavioral part. I would find out exactly what kind of litter box and litter the breeder used. Franklin had litter box troubles when I brought him home at 16 weeks. He wouldn't poop in it! When I got the same box as the breeder he had perfect attendance :) I would also steer clear of clumping litter. Kittens have been know to eat the clumps which is not to good for them.

Some kittens are a little stressed by new environments which can contribute to both of these issues.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
They are small kittens so I don't think bloody stool indicates anything serious. Possibly worm or something like that. I'm pretty sure once your vet help you solve the diarrhea problem, your kittens will start using their litter box :)

In the mean time, I think its better to confine them in the bathroom when you are not keeping a close eye on them. It's better to have poo on bathroom floor and in the bathtub than on carpet and your bed :) However, if only one kitten is having diarrhea, I think you need to separate them in case of contagion. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The litter I'm using is cat's bes oko plus, which is tue same as the breeder used, although the litter boxmis different. Since the day I brought them home though, they have been absolutely flawless at using the box and yesterday was our first accident after 2 weeks of being fine :(

And as for keeping them confined, I'm still doing loads of washing so they're not coming out of there until I know they're safe! It's hard going though, because they are completely full of energy all the time, so I'll have to let them out for some supervised play later. I'll get out da bird and see if I can wear them out but normally I get tired before they do!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Fingers crossed! Things to discuss with the vet; Tritrichomonas foetus & giardia. They aren't part of typical parasite screening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well took them to the vet who checked them over and said they looked fine. I told her their worming history and she worked them there and said it probably wasn't a parasite. She reckoned it was just their tummies still settling and said to feed them some bland tinned food and probiotics. Getting them to eat the probiotics has been challenging - palatable my a**! Managed to get some down them and hoping their poop will firm up.

So a few days since the initial incident and things aren't going as well as I'd hoped. I've been watching them carefully to try and catch them before they go. This morning Athena came out into the kitchen, which is attached to the utility room with their litter boxes, and peed in a corner straight away. Then about 2 minutes later she was back in her room and peed on her bed, just a few metres from the box. Later she revisited the place she'd peed, which I'd disinfected and she was sniffing around, so I put her in her box and she went. Then this evening she pooped on a mat by the back door in the kitchen. It's all very strange, I don't know if she's just forgetting to go back to her box or if she's marking territory or something, the mat by the back door had just been moved there and I wondered if it smelled different.

I just can't figure out what the problem is. Right now they're back in the utility room, but there's not enough space for them to get any decent exercise in there.

Does anyone know if it could be the food I'm feeding them that's causing the runny poop? They're on Felix kitten as good as it looks, it's tough to tell in the UK which are the good foods, they don't have to label the food as well as they do for humans.

Hopefully I 'll be able to figure out why they're not using the litter box properly soon, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took their temperature and I took a stool sample which she looked at, but they're not running any tests. i think she thought I was being an overprotective cat parent.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
If it were my guys....I'd be looking for a second opinion. Or if it were a vet I really liked and usually trust I'd be back and demanding they use their noodles a bit more.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
It could very well be the food...Felix is made by Purina and is the UK equivalent of Friskies...very low quality food.

Tasty Meat Selection:
Meat & meat by-products (min. 4% of each listed variety), fish & fish by-products, vegetable protein extract, minerals, sugar.

Unnamed protein sources, by-products, protein from unnamed veggies and sugar...not good stuff.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I didn't notice if you said in your original post OP, how many boxes do you have?

The reason I ask is that kittens are babies, and like babies of any species if it's too far to go from where they are playing to the potty area sometimes they'll just go where they are because the box is too far away once they realize it's time to go. They don't get early warnings like we do, when they gotta go the gotta go NOW.

I'd suggest putting litter boxes in other places too. You should have at LEAST 3 boxes (# of cats + 1 = number of litter boxes), and they should be scattered around your home. I would make sure that if you have multiple levels in your home that there is at least 1 box per level the kittens can get too. If your home is large you may need more boxes.

I also agree with doodlebug, a higher quality cat food may help.

TBH though I noticed when my boys were young and when I was fostering...sometimes kittens just get upset tummies. Without parasites, without changing foods, without junky foods. Sometimes it just happens.
Feeding small amounts (1 tsp twice a day) of plain organic yogurt might help, it'll give them some good bacteria that will help them digest things better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts