Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4219

New post, no people don't think the new problem is the old one.

I came home today to discover a weird funk (it doesn't smell like crap - like rotten food). I accidentally left my bedroom door open, and this time there is crap all over the bed. Sheets and the duvet. Now I have to dry clean it. :(

Also - there was like 3 piles of mucus-like poo in his litter box (all from today). And he threw up (found that after the vet call).

I made an appointment for tomorrow at 3 (earliest appointment time) - I hope he's ok. I'm worried sick.

Also - do you know how much a typical vet checkup runs? I'm down on money this month - I'm scraping by without this. May have to take a parent loan and I hate doing that.

:shock: :( :? :(

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Bean, why don't you put this in Health where Dr. Jean can comment? I know what it's like to be short of money, but I really think Moby needs a prescription. I think vet visits vary from city to city. I would think it could cost anywhere from $35-$60. Please keep us posted. I'm so sorry Moby's not well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh, poor Moby. :( I read the older post too... I would take him to the vet for sure.

I think I paid for a vet visit around $40-50 (in CND). In Halifax could be cheaper than here.

Hope he will get well soon!

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick post...

The vet trip was - uh - interesting. Moby is a feisty one, without claws. I had no idea he'd go so psycho. He's uneasy around new people, and doesn't like his tummy touched, but maaaan...

What had to be done - rectal swab, rectal thermometer, abdomen check (just feeling) and a teeth/tonge check. Not much. But it took 45 minutes, and in the end he needed 2 people to hold him down, wrapped in a blanket wearing leather long sleeved gloves (and he's declawed), AND he had to have on one of those elizabethan collar things. :shock:

Good news is he still likes me, and everything SEEMED ok. He got a shot (which went very well, considering the rest), and has to take pills for 10 days in case he has a bacterial growth in his intestines.

For everything - and 10 cans of diet food - it came to $115 CAD. When this food is done I have to go back for a slightly different kind (this is special for his stomach or something?) and when he's LOST weight, I am to switch to another food which is less expensive (thank God) and maintains a constant weight. Which will probably be dry to be cheaper. Him getting more than $2 of food a day is like more than I spend on myself. :p

And lastly - an apology about being away for the forum for the past bit. I'm trying to keep him out of my bedroom because of the whole bed crapping thing, and him being sick. I'll be around to moderate more in a bit (sorry Jeanie and Catman).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
But he looks so innocent in your avatar! Hehe, I guess it's the sweet looking ones that are feisty though. Kittygirl might have to think twice about stealing him...since it sounds like it's hard to make him do something he doesn't want to! :shock:
Glad he is back and that everything seems to be under control for now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Craig, I just got caught up on all this, and I'm sorry you and Moby are going through this crap right now. I hope the new food helps him. It sounds like it may be as simple as a food sensitivity, so new food might help. My greyhound had diarrhea for a month until we switched her to food with no corn--so I know what it's like!

Best of luck to you and Moby and the new diet. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Bean! Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier!

I must say, since Moby is a white cat, I am not surprised at his 'vociferous' objection to veterinary treatment. In my experience, white cats and torties are the most unpredictable, and most potentially dangerous, patients that come in! Maybe they are just more opinionated than most, and more than willing to express that (not necessarily nice) opinion! :wink:

What kind of "diet" food did they give him?

One thing you might also want to try is Slippery Elm. It is a non-toxic herbal treatment that can have very beneficial effects on the guts. See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... lipperyelm .

Please don't hesitate to contact me if questions, PM if you want. I try to check CatForum at least once a day (though I was out of town until this afternoon so sometimes it takes a little longer).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Good luck! I hope the new food does the trick. For what it's worth I know what it's like to have a "wildcat" at the vet! :roll:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I should have PMed you DrJean - when I'm stressed I sometimes don't think of the obvious things. The food is made by Waltham - Chicken and Rice weight loss formula. I think it's kinda different though than typical weight loss food? Because when I'm through with this I have to change to another weight loss food (by the same company).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My guess is that they are going for the high fiber content to help regulate his bowels. However, be aware that sometimes increased fiber results in increased irritation to the gut lining. However, in a canned food, I'd expect it to be less of an issue.

Do read the labels of the food. Usually, "light" foods are much higher in carbs, even the canned. If that's the case, he won't lose any weight on it!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts