Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of no where Moby pooed on my bed tonight. :( I have no idea why, although it was time to change his litter. I think he also doesn't like the covered box because it's hard for him to navigate. May have to move it back into the bathroom after all (due to smell).

I'm paranoid he's crap - or pee - on the bed again. This time he only crapped on the bed sheet, but you can sorta smell it on the mattress. :(

The other sucky thing is that my other set of sheet were washed tonight and the washer didn't do the final spin cycle. So the washed sheets are dripping dry on the shower curtain bar. :(

Oh - the stress...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Didn't you post something about having a new cat there by the name of Julia? If you've introduced a second cat, it could be Moby trying to claim dominance.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - she's not close to coming yet...

I got to thinking - I had started to play with Moby under the covers, and now he sometimes goes to my bed and attacks it. Or starts digging at the sheets. Maybe he thinks he can bury it there.... I really don't hope I caused this. :(

I think he knows he did bad though - he won't jump on the bed tonight.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think you mentioned what the problem is, by not keeping their litter box clean. :? My menagerie will poop on an old rug that I place their litter box on whenever I don't clean it out for them. I think that he is trying to tell you something in the form of a protest. :wink:. I was given a covered litter box. The only cats who use it are those small enough to get inside without being cramped up. Also, moving their litter box can confuse a cat, because when they have to go, they will automatically react to the place to where they remember the litter box is usually kept.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well - the new box and the moving happened at christmas - I think he's used to it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I was out to a party last night, and crashed at a friends place so I was gone from 8am to 11am the next day. And when I get home (looking to get in my bed to sleep some more) I find - MORE POO!

Although I'm not REALLY mad... He has had diarrehea for the past couple days (not when he crapped the first time though), and what was on my bed was only small amount. One on the bedspread again (that was like mostly slime - like he couldn't make it to the bathroom and let some out) and the other was on the end of the bed, and it was tiny - like some was stuck to him and fell off. However, that bit was on my duvee. It has a cover, but I think a little soaked through and got on duvee itself. I don't need dry cleaning bills right now. :( Oh - and there was a couple lumps on a sweater I had on the bed. So it seemed a little like it wasn't controllable this time - but I don't know. No more open bedroom door when I'm not around.

If this diarehea keeps up I'm going to take him to the vet.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bah - and now the elephant that lives upstairs is pacing. That cat is freaked out again.

You have to hear this - he has to weigh 300 pounds and stomps. It's been walking from one end of the apartment to the other for about 2.5 hours now. It actually made some dishes that were stacked in my drying rack fall over just now. :shock: :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok - I just got to witness him poo (in the litter box) it's it very odd...

This will sound gross, but when he was pooing it sounded like a ketchup bottle, and it's the consistancy of mucus (I had to scrape it off my sweater).

Is this a sign of something wrong? I'm worried now. I suppose it's only the second day he's had it, but since 11 I think he's crapped 2-3 times. He's drinking a bit of water too, but I suppose that is consistant with diarehea/dehydration.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Bean, I would take him to the vet if I were you. He obviously can't control the diarrhea. He might have become sensitive to certain foods, or he could have gastroenteritis. I think the vet could put an immediate stop to his problem, and if it continues after the prescription is gone, he'll know his history and be able to take it from there. Poor Moby! :(

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Bean said:
<snipped>but when he was pooing it sounded like a ketchup bottle, and it's the consistancy of mucus
Definitely bad. I know exactly what you mean, Ginza had this once. He couldn't handle a new wet food I gave him. Poor boy diarrhea'd just like a ketchup bottle too. I think it's one of those things that'll get more aggravated the longer it goes, and it's already the second day.

I mixed a little Original No Flavor Metamucil (very small!) into the next wet food I gave him to add fiber to help bulk up the poo. It's the same thing in the Petromalt Fiber Capsules for Cats.

Poor kitty, I hope you can find an answer soon. I have no background here, so I have no idea why Moby started the diarrhea, but a vet visit may be in order too if it wasn't a food change.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was and wasn't a food change in a way. I have been mixing wet and dry food for about a month now, and this is the first problem. Maybe the last can of wet had a bad reaction. Since I've only been giving him the dry food - which I haven't changed since I got him.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
How long do you leave the wet/dry mixture out? Getting the dry food wet allows the bacteria that are present on the dry food's surface to grow. I would take him to the vet, it really sounds as if he's not feeling well. Poor Moby :( .

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called the vet...

They said to withhold all food for 18-24 hours, to let his system clear out. Since he's not vomitting he's allowed to have water (but if he starts to no water as well). If he still has diarehea tomorrow, I should book an appoitment. If the stool is better, I have to slowly introduce wet food again.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The final (I hope) update...
Last night Moby pooed his first solid poo.

The doc said to wait 24 hours - and I did. BUT he didn't poo at ALL in that time so I didn't know what to do. I waited one more night (last night) and all is well.

He's a lot livelier now too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts