Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zippy my 18 month old British Blue, poos in the bath :? :eek: , over the plug hole to be precise. I tried putting an enclosed litter tray next to the bath, to coax him into using this instead of using the bath, but he still continued to poo in the bath, not all the time, but I would say approx half a dozen times a week. I then tried putting the plug in, this stopped Zippy for a few days, but then it started again! 8O :roll: As a kitten, he was fully litter trained, so I don't know why he poos in the bath! He's never phased by anything and gets along fine with my 2 kittens and Chocolate Labrador. Any ideas?

Carol x

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Doodlebug

I will have a good read of the thread you provided, and try some more things out, hopefully, I can change Zippy's naughty ways! :thumb

Carol x

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tim,

Zippy does go into the covered litter box most of the time, and I bought an extra large one. The problem was, when I used an open litter box, he kicked the litter all over the place! :? Infact, he used to kick 3/4 of the litter out, along with the poo!

Last night, all 3 had used the litter tray, when I shut them in my bedroom, because Toby my Labrador, was in the garden with the door open.

A few minutes later when I returned to my bedroom, Zippy had done a great big poo and wee'd on my bed! So at 11.30pm last night, I was having to change all the bedding! :x :roll:

Carol x

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the problem with Dusty kicking her litter all over, I put her in a bigger box that has a partial lid that snaps on. It about 3in high just sort fo a lip that goes around the box to prevent litter from going everywhere. All we get now is the small bit she tracks out.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hmm it looks like he's attracted to the water to do his business, mayby you should try to teach him to use the loo? That'll also fix the litter kicking problem aswell.

http://www.citikitty.com/how_it_works.htm

That sounds a bit strange that when he was a kitten he was litter trained but now hes doing it all over the place. Wait a minuite, is he desexed? Because if he isnt it's absolutely no suprise why he's been doing that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there,

No, Zippy hasn't been neutered. Prior to getting Zippy, I've never had a cat in my life and neither have any of my family, so to be honest it's all new to me :oops:

Sorry to sound stupid, but why does not being neutered make him want to poo in the bath? :?

Thanks ever so much for the link for perhaps toilet training him. I'll have a look here in England, to see if I can get him one :D

Thanks again.

Carol x

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Two things you can try Carol:

Put a clean EMPTY litter box in the tub, and see if he uses that. If he does, then put just a little bit of litter not quite covering the bottom, and see if he uses that. If he's still using it, then add a little more litter every day. Then the next step is to remove the litterbox from the tub and put it next to the tub. The idea is to fool him into using the litterbox when he thinks he's using the tub, and then get used to doing it in litter.

Second thing: put about an inch of water in the tub and see what he does. (Maybe you want to try this first if you're willing to take a chance on him pooping somewhere else.) The idea is to discourage him from using the tub.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll give the litter tray a go first, and see if this works. :D

If I put an inch of water in the bath, what if Zippy laid down in it and fell asleep, wouldn't there be a risk of him drowning? :cry:

Carol

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
If your cat lays down and falls asleep in standing water, I'm sure you can get it put in "Ripley's Believe It or Not." :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tim

What the heck is "Ripley's Believe It or Not." ??? 8O :?

I think I get the picture though! When I mentioned the bit about drowning to my colleague at work, he nearly fell off his chair laughing!! :roll:

I must admit I'm still very much learning when it comes to cat behaviour!! Only recently, I realised my British Blue kitten was actually a girl! I bought her from a breeder when she was a kitten, but it was an unusual case, because most of her litter sisters and brothers and died, and the breeder was convinced it was the boy kitten who had survived! she just had it fixed in her mind it was a boy! So, I named "him" Yogi !! It just crossed my mind one night that he didn't act at all like Zippy (his half brother) and that he was looking more "girly". I flipped him over and checked, but I had to get a second opinion before I knew for sure! :oops:

Poor girl she probably had a complex! having to wear a blue collar and be expected to act like Zippy! :oops:

She's now called Millie and wears a nice red collar for a girl! :wink: :)

Carol x

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Boy cats that arnt desexed and the urge to scent mark evvverying. I used to have a russian blue boy and he would pee everywhere, on our beanbag, on the bed, the shower etc. once we got him desexed he stopped.

But! Now that you've discovered hes a she... im stumped :lol:

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
OK...so you have an 18 month old unneutered male and 2 kittens, one of which is female (the other?)...have the kittens been neutered? How old are they? As Jimmyness said, this could be territorial if the kittens haven't been neutered and are reaching sexual maturity and especially if the other is male.

edited to add:

So I just saw your introduction post and got my answer about age and sex of the 2 kittens. If they're not neutered, then this could be the issue with Zippy. At 5 months the young male is starting to come into sexual maturity, Zippy may be feeling territorial. Males will typically urine spray, but I have heard of markling with feces as well. In addition, if the female is not spayed, it's possible for her to become pregnant at 5 months. At that young age, she could come into heat and you might not even know it. Here's more info...

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html

Please get Zippy neutered asap and if the little ones aren't neutered, them as well. Otherwise you may end up with a few more kitties....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi there,

You're right! Zippy is 18 months old and my 2 kittens are 6 months old. One kitten is a boy and the other is a girl. As soon as I realised she was a girl, I took her to the vets, apparently she's sexually immature, because she was so ill as a kitten and she's developing very slowly. I've booked her in to be speyed over Christmas, because I have 2 weeks holiday from work, so I can stay at home with her and keep an eye on her.

I never intended getting a girl kitten, I just wanted boys, so I didn't come up against this problem. However, I love her to bits and wouldn't be with out her, I just hope she's ok. I've been advised by my vet to get Millie speyed, because of future problems which may occur, given her background.

Carol x

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Tim :)

Well, Zippy is up to his old tricks again!

This morning, when he jumped on my bed to wake me up, I noticed his paws were all wet, and suddenly realised he must have tried getting in the bath to have a poo again! I smiled to myself, because I thought, he wont try that again in a hurry! :wink:

However, when I went in to the bathroom I couldn't believe it! Zippy had obviously poo'd in the bath, even with 2 inch of water in it! There was all Zippy's poo floating in it! :cussing :fust

What's the next step, shall I put a bit more water in the bath to try and deter him further? :?

Knowing my luck, I've probably got the only cat living who likes water! I'll probably find him go for a daily swim one of these days! :? 8O :yikes

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
No, we know now that won't deter him. Did you try putting an empty (& clean) litterbox in the tub to see if he'd go in the box if it was in the tub?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
having 2 unneutered toms in the house is probably going to result in a lot of spraying and marking where they are not supposed to. You can expect that your boy kitten will probably start spraying urine all over your home soon too.

I have a feeling that you're not going to be able to get this to stop until both the boys are neutered.

Also, keep in mind that for 3 cats, you should really have 4 litterboxes, especially if you're having litter box problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts