Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use clumping litter so i don't change all the litter everyday it's only been like 4 days, is it just because it's "dirty" the package said that you don't need to ever discard old litter, should i anyway? he's been using the box fine up until now. so i was thinking it was just dirty, or could it be sumthing else?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try it

Okay i'll try that! Hopefully it works. He does act like a king :lol: :wink: lol so that's hopefully just it!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I'm curious as to why the package would say not to discard old litter. No matter what make or brand, litter needs to be completely changed once a week or so, depending on how "productive" your cat is, and the poopies should probably be taken care of on a daily basis, to reduce the stink.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I clean it with a scoop everyday sumtimes twice a day so i duno :? He's prolly just a picky cat lol

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I just started to use Ever Clean cat litter a week or two ago and noticed when I was changing the litter that Ever Clean also said you never have to change the litter.

Here's what the description said on Petco.com:
The unique odor control system in Ever Clean Antibacterial Formula virtually eliminates litter box odor. Ever Clean means no more changing the litter box.Unlike regular clay litters, Ever Clean Premium Clumping Litter absorbs liquid waste into solid clumps. The amazing clumping action of Ever Clean prevents liquid waste from reaching the bottom of the litter box where it decomposes and creates odor. Scooping out the clumps and solid waste will keep the litter box smelling fresh and clean.
Just seems kind of gross to never change it. I'm sure the masters of the house wouldn't like it either.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
litter

the litter was about 4 days old, i changed it now, n rinsed it out with sum water, but my cat hasn't had to use it yet so i'll see what happens :wink:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Oh yes, and also when i cleaned it there was sum stuff that has managed to get the the bottom and stick to the side...so despite my best cleaning efforts i figure i just couldn't get it out with the scoop. That might have been another reason!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sushi is a total princess and even if the box isn't dirty, she'll often poop beside it because it isn't immaculate (but she'll pee in it just fine) :roll: We just clean it when it gets dirty, and put cardboard or newspaper down beside it for when our picky princess deems it unfit for her poop.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I also use Everclean. I've used it for a very long time, and was originally attracted to it by the statement about never having to dump it. I found that not to be entirely true--I still have to clean it out occasionally but not anywhere near as much as I had to do with other litters.

At least a couple of times, I've had to go through this phase where I convince myself that I'm paying too much for "fancy" litter that doesn't do any good, and go and buy a cheaper brand, and every single time I am reminded about how much better Everclean *actually* is, even though it doesn't actually do what it says. Even so, it is a much better product than anything else I've used, and very much worth the extra money.

But I still recommend changing it at least occasionally.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I changed the whole thing entirely and he used the box, so it was just too dirty for his liking lol :wink: :lol: Thankz everyone for your advice!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yup, even clumping litter has to be scooped daily and completely changed periodically (though a lot less than clay).

If you're ever in doubt about the litterbox, stick your nose four inches from the litter surface and take a deep breath. That's the level your cat is at, and he has to walk in it, dig in it, and take a lot of breaths right there next to it. Never changing the litter would be like never flushing your toilet--ACK! :oops:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts