Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bengo, my 3 month old kitten, is pooping behind my computer. I have it sitting on a dresser which is catty-cornered, leaving enough space behind it for the cats to get back there. For SOME reason Bengo is using this space as his litter box???? I have no idea why. We have 2 boxes and clean them daily. How can I stop him from going back there? Why is he doing this? I guess I can figure out a way to block it off and deny him access but then he just find somewhere else. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Maybe he likes his own corner. Does your boxes sit in a busy area of the house or are they secluded so the cat feels he can do his business in peace and quiet? Maybe all it needs is to make a move of one of the boxes if it's too busy, with people or other animals walking by it?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think you'll have to clean that area really thoroughly with a cleaner with enzymes. Then you could put the litter box on the spot and then move it slightly every day, until it's it a more acceptable place. Keep it really clean. (I know you do, but it's even more important now.) If you leave any of his scent there, he will probably continue to go back. I hope that works for you.

I had a cat who walked right past the litter box in the laundry room to one specific corner. It's maddening, I know.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've cleaned the area with Clorox spray cleaner, and then cleaned it thoroughly to make sure no cleaner was left. Then I cleaned it again with pet cleaner. Luckily I have hardwood floors so it's easy to clean...but it STAINED the floor :roll:
The litter boxes are on the back porch in a corner. I wouldn't say it's high traffic. It's just the two of us living here and we don't frequent the porch unless we need something from back there. The cats do enjoy playing back there. It's windows all the way around so they like to watch the birds and other outside activities.
So I should move one of the litter boxes behind the computer...in my living room!?!?! 8O Humm...I'm not so sure about that and I know my partner won't be pleased. I think for now I'll block off access and keep an close eye on him. Most of the time the back door is cracked but maybe he is doing this when the door is shut. It may be that he hasn't learned to meow at the back door when he needs to go out there. I guess that is asking a lot but the others have no issues with it. We just decided to put in a cat door the other day but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I'll keep a close eye on him for the time being. If it happens again then I'll put a box back there and gradually work him back out to the porch with the other kitties.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Since wood is porous, I assume the odor is in the wood. Although Clorox will disinfect the area, my cats love the smell of clorox, and after I use it, they want to wash my hand. Enzyme cleaner is used to remove the smell of cats and even the odor of (sorry) dead animals etc. It is specifically for the purpose. You might have to use a lot of it, and even sand and varnish that area of the floor.

Of course you shouldn't keep the litter box there permanently, just for a day, and then move it a bit each day until it is where you want it. It's better than having the cat use that area indefinitely-with no litterbox. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Maybe he wants you to get off the Cat Forum.... :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You have gotten alot of great advice already, I'm sure you will be able to correct it :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: My partner said the same thing!
"Maybe if you weren't on that silly cat thing all the time...It's his way of getting your attention..."
As much as she picks at me about being on here, anytime something happens with one of the cats she's all like, "Well what do the 'cat people' on the computer say...you haven't ask them yet??"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
As much as she picks at me about being on here, anytime something happens with one of the cats she's all like, "Well what do the 'cat people' on the computer say...you haven't ask them yet??"

Oh man....and I always promised my mother (and myself) that I wouldn't become "one of those cat people"!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Ianthe said:

Oh man....and I always promised my mother (and myself) that I wouldn't become "one of those cat people"!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bah! I fully intended to become "one of those cat people" when I was 3 and my dad brought home our very first cat. :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Although I have flashes of pictures in my mind of things that happened earlier, my first real memory of an incident was reaching under the refrigerator for my toy dishes and feeling something soft. Without fear (not today, I wouldn't) I grabbed it and pulled it out. It was, you guessed it! a cat. I called it 'Rainbow, and my mother said I could keep it. I was destined to become a crazy cat lady, and I'm so glad I was!

Adavis. do you mean to say there's somewhere else where someone can get information? 8O :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are great! While I always had a great love for animals while growing up, I don't think I ever had the chance to develop into a crazy animal person. My mother did that for me. We had every possible pet you could imagine and it was my mother who was begging to keep each one of them! We didn't even have a chance too. I have two little sisters, 5 and 7. You want to talk about crazy cat ladies!!!! I swear they are. My parents' new office is in an old neighborhood that is in the process of being gentrified, so there are still some old run down houses. The one across the street is overrun by stray cats. Each spring when there are kittens running around everywhere, my sisters somehow end up with one each. After my sisters get the pick of the litter, my mom finds homes for the rest. They were toddlers and amazingly enough knew how to bottle feed kittens. A few years back they found some in the sewer and nursed them back to health. Unfortunately this litter had a string of ring worm that the vet had never seen and had a very hard time finding meds to get rid of it. Well of course THIS didn’t stop my sisters from playing with them non-stop. A year later Carly, who was 4 at the time, still had a bald spot in her head from ring worm. It was awful! My mom was embarrassed enough as it was, but being the darling child that she was, Carly would walk up to strangers and ask, "Wanna see my ring worm? Look, it ate my hair!!" This didn’t always go over very well when it was customers sitting in my parents’ office about to build million dollar beach front homes. Of course it didn’t always get the dramatic response that Nicole use to get when she’d walk in there with her pet white rat on her head as ask, “Would you like to pet him?” This was when the office was connected to the house so my mom could stay home with the girls. Luckily they don’t get as many chances now to terrify the customers at the new office!
I can't even imagine what they'll be like when they're older...they're already dreaming of builing Noah's Ark!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've only been a cat person for the last 8 years when I got married my husband had a cat for 15 years. Soon after I got a kitten from my sister for Bonkers to play with. Took the kitten for its well kitty care and talk about being a novice cat parent! Told the vet that I never, never had a cat before until I got married. He told me that he would tell all his single female clients don't marry a man that doesn't like cats. From there on I knew I married the right guy and I was on my way to being cat crazed lady with no regrets.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I've fully excepted my new status!! And I love it. I can't even begin to think about my day without my kitties, all four of the little angels :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Just an amusing story... I am the youngest of the family. My brother was 15 when I was born, and married by the time I was three. Well, when you're the baby of the family, you really have to prove yourself. Although the family agreed that I had more book knowledge than the rest, I was constantlly being treated as if I knew nothing requiring common sense.

As soon as I got married, I got two cats. My big brother (whom I idolized) dropped in and said he was in a hurry, and could I give him a sandwich, rather than drive home and waste time. Well, I fixed him a sandwich, and before he took a bite, he looked at the cats and asked me if the plate was clean! Well, I couldn't resist....so I said, "Oh, don't worry, Robert! After I washed it, I made sure the cats licked it clean!" He stopped in mid-bite! :lol: (He finished it as soon as he realized I was being sarcastic.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes Jeannie - ooooh I laughed and laughed. That's sibling love all right! Thanks for sharin'.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pooping behind computer...UPDATE

The computer is now pulled away from the wall because I'm painting. So last night Bengo picked the rug in the bathroom to poop on. :evil: I can't understand why he is doing this. The door to the porch was open and the litter boxes had just been cleaned. I really think when he's inside the house and has to go, he forgets where the litter boxes are and just finds a place. This is frustrating because he doesn't ALWAYS do it so it's hard to correct. He's been doing it about once or twice a week since we got him.
What I'm really worried about though is my partner becoming impatient. After cleaning the rug she came to bed and before she even opened her mouth I knew what she was going to say..."I don't want him anymore.":? He is technically her cat. He was the one she picked out when we adopted the two new kittens. I'm not the type to just give up on the little kitty but I don't know what to tell her. HELP!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The point of having more than one litterbox is to have them in more than one place! And those places must have 24/7 access. Such a young kitten can't be expected to figure it out otherwise! If he was unable to get to the boxes even once, it's understandable that he would want to find himself a backup!

There are several articles on "litterbox secrets" in our free article library; they might give you some more ideas on what might be going on and how to solve the problem:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess we are expecting too much of him. It's just that the two older cats and the other new kitten, Rice, who is the same age, have no problems with the litter box. Zoë opens doors that are almost shut all the way to get where she wants to go. If the porch door is ever shut the others will sit by it and meow to get our attention. I suppose we just figured that if they could do that then Bengo could too.
It makes sense that if he there was ever a time that he couldn't get out there he found a new spot and returns to it if the door even looks shut. Poor baby...I feel like a bad mom now. And my partner has said that she would never get rid of him, that she loves them all and was just stressed out that night. :D

On a slightly different note: the reason we try to keep the porch door pulled to is so that the air condition won't escape onto the back porch. We realize that this is an issue since their litter boxes are back there and we spend all day opening and closing the door letting them in and out. So we want to install a cat door. Any experience with these or opinions???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts