Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old Tortoiseshell kitty has recently been having issues pooping outside the litter box. This all started back in April when I had noticed she licked off some of the fur on her tummy. Took her to the vets, had an exam done and he seemed to think it was behavioral. He gave us these prescription "composure pro" treats to help calm her. Well, I didn't really notice a difference and several weeks later she started pooping outside of her litter box and peed on our sofa one time. I took her back to the vets, she had a negative fecal test and back to the vets a 3rd time for a full blood test which was all well. This time he gave her a prescription for Fluoxetine (prozac), which I cannot seem to get her to take, no matter what I mix it with she knows that teeny little pill is there and won't eat it. The vet mentioned being able to have the medication compounded into a liquid or topical form which I haven't tried yet as it's more expensive to do, but I will if we have to.
I am at a loss as to why she is doing this. She has always used her litter boxes regularly. I have 3 cats total and 4 litter boxes, I scoop once a day. I can't imagine it's a sudden aversion to the litter or box? And she is still peeing in the box, except for that one time.
I should also mention that right before and while she is pooing she runs around the house like crazy, and the poo will just fall out in different rooms wherever she's running. It's almost as if she's scared?
She eats and drinks normally.
I'm just not sure if we should spend more money and take her back to the vets for more in depth testing like xrays etc or if I should try and get the Fluoxetine compounded and see if that helps.
Just don't know what to do! Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is there any chance that a relationship with another of your cats has caused this? Could one of the others be tormenting her in some way, maybe something subtle that you have not seen? I wonder if close observation of the cats' dynamics might tell you something. Just a thought...

I would go ahead and try the compounded medication, or else just pulverize the pill and try mixing the powder with her canned cat food. She may refuse it, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work from home, so I'm usually around them. In the past she actually had been the one to sometimes bully her littermate sister. Since she's been on the Composure Pro treats I haven't noticed any of that, so maybe they are helping in that respect. But she definitely has always been a more anxious type cat. And our younger cat, who is 1, tends to steer clear of both older sisters, but I will pay some closer attention, thanks for the tip.

I did try crushing the pill into wet food, I think she could smell it and wouldn't touch it. I will try again with another wet cat food. She's pretty picky in general.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe try crushing the pill into something highly smelly that she loves. Sardine? (in water, not oil). roast chicken, a piece? Something she doesn't otherwise get, and it becomes a big treat for her.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We had to give our cat Toby pills for an infection for 3 weeks. My partner gave him the pill by himself every morning by opening his mouth, forcing it in and massaging the underside of his neck until he swallowed it. No, Toby didn't like it and it is not easy but it can be done.

Also, sorry to be so graphic but is her poop normal? We had two female cats that both had hyperthyroid and they consistently pooped outside the box but it was more like diarrhea. Other than that I don't really have any input.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
71 Posts
Something just to watch for, which has caused similar behaviour in one of my cats. He had ingested some (female) human hair, which of course did not come out the other end well. His stools were healthy, but they couldn't fall into the litter box properly as the hair attached one piece of stool to the next. He hated the feel of his stool against his legs and would run around the house trying to dislodge it. We have since become a lot more vigilant and vacuum more regularly, especially in the bathroom, and this issue rarely happens now.

Not saying this is causing your issue, but can't help to rule it out!

I've also heard calming diffusers are good, such as Feliway, and some boiled pumpkin may help her feel more comfortable passing her stool. Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts