Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

About a month ago, I got two black American short-hair kittens, Sammy and Sophie, who had been rescued by a lady out in the suburbs. The kittens lived in her bathroom 'til she found me to take them over. They were nine weeks old and litter trained when they arrived. We've been getting along OK. Sammy is crazy about me--Sophie is kind enough to tolerate me ;)

Two weeks ago, I went on vacation to Hawaii for a week and left them in the apartment alone. My friend came twice a day to spend some time with them, feed them, change their water, and clean out the litter box. I thought this would be ok...

When I returned, I discovered all sorts of surprises on my carpet, in the back corner of my walk-in closet. Sammy is still using the litter box, but Sophie is not--at least, not consistently. She pees there (I think), but usually prefers to poop elsewhere. I change their litter regularly and remove waste religiously, so I do not think she avoids the litter box because it is dirty. Any idea what is causing Sophie's new love of carpet and what can I do to convince her that litter is far more plush?

Thanks for your help!

erez

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
again...

she just did again. I caught her right afterwards :(

I've tried spraying the area with orange-scented cleaners... it did me no good. Any other ideas? I was thinking tin foil. But then, she might just move to another place like she did last time, when I placed cardboard in the last corner she was using.

Thanks,

erez

·
Registered
192 Posts
might want to try nature's miracle solution to clean the carpet. i'm pretty sure you're keeping the litter box cleaned so i dont know...

is your litter box hooded? if so, try removing the hood for a couple days. my cat gave me problems ever since i got a hooded litter box so i just removed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my cats. I shut her in one room without carpet (or whatever surface your cat has chosen as its new litter) and had her litter box in there. As she used the box, I gradually let her into larger areas of the house. If she was good in that area for a week, she got access to more of the house. This was a drastic measure. Before this, I tried other suggestions, which included: Putting a pan of litter where she has chosen to go, then move it about a foot a day back to a desired area. You can also try putting her food where she is going, as most cats won't eat and poop in the same spot. Spending a lot of one on one time with the cat and rewarding and praising their use of the box are also suggested. I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bathroom

Thanks for your response--I will try to place Sophie in the bathroom until she starts using the litter box again. Should I place sammy in the bathroom with her? Thank you,

erez

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lapchern said:
might want to try nature's miracle solution to clean the carpet. i'm pretty sure you're keeping the litter box cleaned so i dont know...

is your litter box hooded? if so, try removing the hood for a couple days. my cat gave me problems ever since i got a hooded litter box so i just removed it.
no, the litter box is a small, kitten-sized, open pan. but I will certainly try to find some enzyme based cleaner to clean the carpet. thanks,

erez

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know for sure, my litter box troubles were because she was protesting a new cat in the house, so isolation was better. You might try both with and without the other cat and see if either works better. She may just be protesting you leaving her, in which case a lot of attention and affection for her specifically, in situations where it is just you and her would probably help. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(skeptical)

:p somehow I doubt she's protesting that I'm leaving her. I don't think she likes me very much. Thanks for your help, Danni--I will keep you posted,

erez

1 - 8 of 8 Posts