Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember how I told you guys I got a hammy? Well it turns out that he had been in a cage with a hamster that had "wet tail" (this is a potentially deadly illness that is really contagious between them. It's like diarrhea and they dehydrate). Well he started showing signs of this illness so I immediatly started treating him for it...giving him drops of medicine. (I didn't know that a hamster was infected with it when I bought him by the way, I found out the other day when I called). So anyway, I kept treating him and he started bleeding from his bum...sorry this is gross. And he just was SO dehydrated and nothing was working and he was in A LOT of pain (every time he walked he would sqeak cause his bum was so raw from him licking it). So we had to have him euthanized yesterday.

I feel bad for him, but at least he's out of his misery. :( However, I am REALLY mad at that petstore and am never buying anything from them again.

I am going to clean his cage REALLY well and get a gerbil next week. I miss having him around! Poor little guy, he was only 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Awww, Im sorry about your little hammy, I would be very mad at that petstore and would never buy from them either. I hope your next little pet does well though :D

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
sorry to hear about hammy, maleke. i actually just got a shipment of baby gerbils with wettail -luckily they all survived. i had to feed them the medication and pedialyte to help them through though. wash your cage with a 10% bleach solution and let it air dry. check the gerbil you buy for wetness around the backend, and make sure its eyes and nose are clear. (cats just jumped down and I can use capitals again!). Pick a gerbil that is curious to sniff your hand - it will be easier to tame. Please get a same sex pair of gerbils, they really shouldn't live alone because they are social animals. I love watching mine sleep in a pile and groom each other. And don't buy cedar or pine shavings - sorry for the rant, I just think it would be horrible if you had another little guy pass on so soon. Hope you get your new friends soon!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Queenofthenile,
I use Carefresh bedding.....I know cedar is especially bad.

I had two gerbils before, a few years ago...they were about 3 years old and one day I walked in and one was eating the other. It was REALLY gross.....that is why I don't want to get two gerbils again. But I will if there is a way to avoid them eating eachother? I have heard that gerbils generally do do this when one dies. Have you had this happen?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Yeah, gerbils almost never cannabilize each other unless the other gerbil is already dead. They are just trying to maintain clean, sanitary conditions by disposing of the dead body. The only time I have heard of a gerbil eating another gerbil while they were alive was if the mother is not getting enough water and must sacrifice one of her pups to be able to make milk to feed the other babies. It's really unfortunate that you had to witness that (I never have), but the other gerbil must have already passed away. Don't let this scare you from getting a pair, just make sure they come from the same litter so they don't fight. Or if you can't get a same sex pair from one litter, introduce two very young gerbils (5-8 wks). I've heard good things about Carefresh, personally I use Aspen because it's cheaper :roll: .

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
id becautious of trying to introduce them at even 5-8 weeks
i use to work in a petshop, now im a teaching student, but i remember when we had gerbils in, there was a girl in with the boys, just a mistake in sexing, they were only around 8 weeks old, we tried to put it with 2 other females and they killed it. My advice would be to go to the shop a couple of times where you want to get them, and watch them make sure they get on alright.

As for thr wet tail it is very pittyful that the shop sold a hamster with it, although i do know (or at least have read should i say) that young hamsters can easily get it through stress, if just 1 catches it, and as you know it is then easily passed on to others.

also just as a note to anyone reading this i have also found that in my experince if a hamster has wet tail aswell as the treatment feeding them on just sunflower seeds (of the hearsts less messy!) helps them a lot because it is high in fats etc, just remember this should only be while they are ill, once they are better they should go back to a proper hamster diet.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Zalensia, you are right, sometimes that sort of thing can happen. It's best to get them as young as possible and boys are easier to introduce than girls - in the gerbil species, females are actually the dominant sex. When you try introducing 2 young gerbils together (wear thick gloves) and if they roll into a tight ball, seperate them. If they do this you will have to introduce them with a split-cage, where there is a divider that they can smell each other through but not bite. Of course this is only if your pair aren't already living together. If you need more info on this, there are lots of sites detailing how to do it, or you can just PM me.
I haven't had an introduction fail yet. I have even introduced a foursome of 5 week old boys to my older male without a split cage - there were no major occurrences other than a lot of butt-sniffing. Of course you should watch your introduced gerbils for several hours to make sure there is no serious fighting - if they start sleeping in a pile or grooming each other, you're pretty much home free! :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys. I think I will get two. Is it pretty much almost certain that if one dies the other one will eat it though? Of my two, one was dead when the other was eating it. The other one died soon after.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
It really depends on how soon you remove the body. If you find the body soon after the gerbil has passed on, the other gerbil won't be so inclined to "clean up the mess". Hopefully your new pets' deaths are several years down the road and you can avoid this situation again - I can't imagine how horrible it must of been to see that - I really hope that I never do.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Maleke said:
Hey Queenofthenile,
I use Carefresh bedding.....I know cedar is especially bad.
I used Carefresh bedding for my hamsters, too. They absolutely loved it! They would dig down into it and then fling it on top of themselves. It was so funny to watch them throwing it around to cover up.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I bought 2 gerbils from a breeder yesterday! I am picking them up today. They are two 8 week old Burmese sisters. I am so excited! The breeder is also putting me on the reserve list for a pair of Siamese gerbils when they come along! I just think that would be so cool, Siamese gerbils and a Siamese cat! Luckily I have lots of housing for gerbils!

Anyway, I'll post pictures as soon as I take some. And I'll also post picutres of my kitten! He is so big now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts