Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently recieved into my care one of my mothers cats. It's a long story, but the short version is that my sister moved out for a while, got a cat, and then had to move home.

Molly, my mother's cat is one of those cats that are bullies. My mother's other cat Merlin, is like my Gizmo and remains unfazed by Molly's attacks, and eventually she grew bored of it and became friends with Merlin. My sisters cat however is a timid sweet little thing, and Molly terrorised her so much over the last few weeks that she would find a hiding spot and stay there. Molly wouldn't even let her use the litterbox, blocking the way to where it is, which resulted in Whiskey becoming desperate and little accidents would be left in wherever she happened to be hiding. They decided the thing to do would be to find Molly a new home, with no other cats for her to terrorise.

Now, I didn't particularly want her, being as how she isn't affectionate or even friendly, but out of sympathy for Whiskey I offered to take on Molly until finding her a suitable home. And so as of 6pm last night, Molly is here with me.

She is terrified! She has never in her life been in another house. The poor cat zipped downstairs and hid until morning. Even though she is now upstairs it isn't much of an improvement since she is still terrified, and refuses to come out from under the couches. She growls like a banshee anytime Gizmo comes up to say hello (or poke his nose under the couch) but he is unfazed, only seeming to wonder WHY she is hiding and growling at him when he is being nice and just wants to make friends.

She wont leave her hiding place, she is too scared to walk around, I can't even entice her to eat something.

Please I need some ideas to get her to feel more comfortable around the house, she's going to be here a couple of weeks for sure, so how can I get her to not be hiding under the couch scared?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It might take a long time for her to feel comfortable. It would be better to give her some private place if Gizmo frightens her. Everything is different., the people, the house, and the cat! I think it's harder for her to adapt than for a kitten, and we know that it takes them days. To get used to a different cat could take much longer. Make it very gradual. She would find it easier to get used to one room and one person, I believe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some cats are more shy and scared than others. You should put her in a room alone first with her food, water and litter box until she gets used to that single room and becomes comfortable. Having the other cats around her and being put in a new place is making her stressed out and scared. She will eventually come around!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts