Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've had monkey (10 year old Siamese mutt) for a couple days/week now and have kept him separated until this morning. There's been a few spare hisses and growls shared between him and kittens, but nothing major, it just seems like Luna and Voldie are utterly curious, not aggressive towards him.

Problem is... Monkey is always hiding behind something with his tail tucked between his legs. I do understand that it's a big change for him, but I'm worried as he hasn't eaten in a while (even when he was isolated) and literally WILL NOT MOVE AT ALL. I can pick him up just fine, but he'll run away and hide, again. As I type this, he hasn't moved from behind the couch in well over two hours.

Any advice?

· Registered
594 Posts
My kitties both hid for a full two weeks (Lickorish even longer) when we brought them home, and we didn't have any resident cats to worry about, so I wouldn't be too concerned. What brought Lickorish out was play. If I played with Squeek, Lickorish would come out. She'd just watch at first, but eventually she started to join in and now she takes it over sometimes.

As for not eating, I didn't have that problem, but I started with the same kibble they were eating at their foster home. Maybe try a different food and give him privacy at meal time for now. I was worried about Lickorish not eating as she stayed hidden all day for over a month, but she did sneak down at night to eat and use the litter box. We had one accident with her, probably bc she was afraid to come out when she needed to go.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
Some cats just take time to adjust to a new home....it could be days or months, depending on the personality of the cat. Your statement "I'm worried as he hasn't eaten in a while". What's a while? How long do you mean? It's important that cats eat and not go longer than 1-/2 days without eating anything. Sometimes a cat will come around better if it is confined in a large wire dog crate with everything it needs.....food, water, litter tray, cat bed or blankets. Having crate partially covered in the beginning with a blanket can give it some privacy. I would place the crate in a spot where you most spend your time. This gives the chance (and in a sense) forces or habituates the cat to accept the activity and observe it from a safe place. You can even play with the cat in the crate wth a feather toy or something similar. Let the cat out in a small room for some exercise, preferably one where it can't hide under a bed or elsewhere. Try and play with it, or sit it on your lap and pet it or groom it gently. When the cat is more confident, you can introduce Luna or Voldie (the less dominant of the 2) into the room with Monkey for some interaction, or feeding them treats at the same time. Hope some of these suggestions work out for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.