Cat Forum banner

Poor Nutty :(

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Janis 
#1 ·
Nutmeg is still throwing up daily, and now she seems to be having problems pooping. I am definitely taking her to the vet, no one needs to convince me of that much. I am just wondering if anyone has had a cat with a blockage and what the symptoms are. It would help ease my mind.

#5 ·
Awww so sorry to hear about Nutmeg. Yes awhile back my Joey was terribly constipated. He also vomited and would strain to go to the bathroom. My vet gave him an enema and it took care of the problem. We were lucky that he wasn't terribly impacted.

#6 ·
Glad to hear you've got a vet appt.

The signs of an intestinal blockage are:
  • Lethargy
  • Lack of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Persistent vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Few if any bowel movements
  • Abdominal pain
  • Hunched up position
  • In some cases, diarrhea
Surgery is may be required to remove it.

I hope that's not the case with "Nutty". My girl is very bad for chewing shoelaces. In spite of being careful with shoes put away and keeping closet doors closed, yesterday I found a piece of poo on the carpet with about 4" of shoelace in it. She had a normal poo this morning, so I was lucky this time!

#7 ·
The vet said that she is probably constipated. She gave us a laxative and wants us to keep her on one food only (no treats or extras) for nine weeks. She said that if she has a food allergy we need to cut out anything extra so we can start to narrow down what it is. She said it is definitely not a blockage and if she weren't so young she would order blood work right away but since she is so young she wants to rule out constipation and allergies first, because it is probably the culprit.

Thanks for the well wishes, we appreciate it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.