Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sally is a 15 month old white/brown tabby (small for her age) and strangest of all has a curly tail at all times.. sort of like a pigs tail..

Sally has been getting beaten up rather badly as of late after we moved into my parents place whom own 5 cats already.. 3 of which are indoor and 2 are always outside (havnt encountered them too much).. It seems that Mille the mog and larger of our two has adapted very well, almost to the point of ruleing the roost well so she likes to act.. but Sally, poor little sally.. She has from day one been afraid, timid and approhensive about every single noise move or breeze from the window.. for other words from day one she would only stare in fear at the other 3 cats in the house, causing them to sense her fear and attack to the point of wounding and hurting her.. She now spends most the time hudled up in our bedroom staring into the back corner wall on our bed, or she lays in her cage which we have placed a black flap over giving her concealment.. We have seeked help from a vet whom has perscribed her a form of kitty anti depressant called Clomicalm 5 which we have been invised to give dosage of half a tablet a day.. These pills have knocked all the life from her leaving her not only sitting in the basket and bed but doing it for the entire day and night, getting up only to get a drink and feed.. Her fear doesnt seem to have vanished and her actions are some what clumsy and confused as though she is in some kind of kitty trance all day long.. I hate seeing her like this and would prefer her afraid but alive then afraid but zombified.. Does anyone have any solution to this HUGE problem for poor beaten up little Sally...??? PLEASE... any advice on the drug she is on and any solution to building up her confidence with other cats in the house..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh dear, what a mess. My heart goes really goes out to you (and Sally).

She's going through a lot adjusting not only to the new cats but to her new environment. She is definitely the "undercat" in this situation. The home is covered everywhere w/ the scents of the other cats and they see her as an intruder. The other cats may also feel threatened or stressed out over all the new people and things in their home as well. Give everyone time. It may take a very long time for them to adjust (if ever).

I have a few bullies myself. When they are in their bully moods, I pull out the interactive toys which are usually more interesting to them than my timid cats. It distracts them until they are too tired to care about whatever cat happens to be trembling in the nearest corner. Keep your bullies very stimulated and entertained w/ other pleasures than hunting Sally.

One thing to be sure to do is make sure the original group doesn't feel slighted or jealous of the new kitty. Make good things happen for them when Sally is around (extra praise, laughter, new toys and games, little treats for being good, new oat grass, catnip).

Sally will also need extra attention on your part but I would do this behind closed doors (quietly playing w/ her when the other cats are sleeping, or have no clue). You don't want to further flame the situation. If possible, try to play w/ all of them together in the same room so they associate each other w/ fun and attention.

I am against drugging cats in general unless all other alternatives have been explored. Particularly in this case, I fear Sally may be further injured since she is out of it and can't defend herself at all. My vet recommended that if we do require such drastic measures, we should drug not only the picked on cat, but the aggressors.

I've found my cats fight more when their nails get longer. Little swats meant to convey simple disgust quickly turn into frightening tornadoes of cats swirling round and round each other, fur flying everywhere (secondary to PAIN from the long nails.) If your cats are not declawed (which is hopefully the case), make sure you keep their little razors trimmed to keep small spats from escalating.

Also, you may want to look into Feliway. I used to spray it onto a bandana, let it dry, and then pin the bandana around the bully's neck. He was so chilled out like a pothead and seemed extremely relaxed, ignoring the other cat. The only problem is you have to keep respraying it throughout the day. It would probably help to at least have some plugins around your major fight areas.

Make sure Sally has at least one room that is all her own (your bedroom, I assume). Put all her old familiar things out and about. Keep the door shut and the other cats out when you are not around so she will feel safest. I'm glad you have the cat carrier out for her. Make sure she has lots of places to hide or escape in each of the major rooms in the home.

Good luck to you. I fear that Sally will never be happy unless you can move into your own place. Hopefully I will be wrong!

·
Registered
33 Posts
<clip>

Duplicated my post for some reason! No one wants to hear me once much less twice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
(Is anyone else having problems with the internet?)

Although none of my cats are that timid, I am sure a few of them would react in such a manner if I were to introduce them to a new cat family. Namely, I am thinking of Tiara. If she wasn't part of my orignial family which I brought out here from central Calif., I'm sure she would react in the same way.

Early this year I adopted an older male cat, Max, who is really rough looking. Since he has been an indoor cat for the past year, his coat doesn't look so scruffy. Max is an orange tabby. He is an alpha male, and often gets into fights with my other younger alpha male, Otis, a Flame Point Siamese. I did not realize when I adopted him that he and Otis would not get along with each other. However, they are getting used to each other now, and their fighting escapades are becoming less. Max is a passive male, probably due to his age, while Otis is more aggressive. Whenever those two get into figting scrapes, I have found Otis to be the instigator. Although Otis usually comes out on the losing end of a fight, he does not give up easily.

One day last month, Max got outside, being a door darter. He chased one of my feral outdoor cats away. Max was really angry at him apparently for just being around to be fed. In fact, Max ran just as fast as the other cat, even though Max is probably twice his age and in size and weight.

The main reason I am relating this is to demonstrate that some cats are incorrigible when it comes to behavior problems. I would do as Lunamystique stated, and hope that she will come around to accepting the other cats, and that they will accept her.

(BTW, Lunamystique, I enjoy reading your posts, demonstrating your knowldege on cat behavior. Keep it up, and if you should post twice, who cares :) I have posted twice a few times before.)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I hope Sally will be accepted in the group also!
Wayne is right, Lunamystique - I was about to say also - your posts shows a lot of knowledge and experience with cats. We all enjoy learning !
Wayne do you like the Temptations (I do :)!) - I was wondering if this was where the inspiration came from to call your kitty Otis (?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, guys, that's sweet! Really I have never even seen a cat before ... :wink: Are they as beautiful as people say?

When I was growing up, we always had outdoor cats because my parents wouldn't let us keep them inside. I watched cat after cat die (usually they would live about 5 yrs) from various outdoor dangers, usually cars.

When I hit 23 and was finally on my own out of college, I vowed to do things differently w/ my own pets as an adult. Justin was my 1st cat and he's about 7 now. When I got him, I hit the library and read every book I could find on health and behavior. Mostly what I've picked up is from books. I look forward to sharing in any way I can and to learning from those of you here w/ more REAL life experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the fast and informative replies aswell as for the heartfelt considerations for poor sallbell.. We have decided to take her off the medication after only being on it 3 days, we decided after letting her go for one day without them that she was atleast happy when the other bullies wernt around.. Its very hard to get all the cats in the same room without sally trying to climb a wall to escape or one of the other cats running straight for her.. Her major problem is that she offers absolutely no defence, she just shrieks and runs for the nearest door.. She is an absoulute outdoor lover and has been so misserable being cooped up inside for the past 3-4 weeks.. Where as mille our other cat has been out as of the first week without any problems.. We did attempt to let sally out after the first week but she headed straight for the nearest fence and off she ran and after we went.. Hard to say with sally as she has always been the avid explorer of nearby houses whereas Mille was quiet content with her own yard, and never straying far from food and a good pat.. We will try the bandana idea and see where it goes from there.. agaimn thanks for all your help..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
lunamystique, I just wanted to mention that I have a cat named Justin also!
I just thought it was kinda cool, because some one just joined the board who had a Stormy, and I have a Stormy also.
And now there's someone with a Justin too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
shlanon said:
lunamystique, I just wanted to mention that I have a cat named Justin also!
I just thought it was kinda cool, because some one just joined the board who had a Stormy, and I have a Stormy also.
And now there's someone with a Justin too!
That is neat! You have great taste in names. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts