Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My knee has been swollen/sore for past two weeks now. I think I may have twisted it or something, so I went to the minor injuries unit up the road from my Uni on a break today instead of bothering my GP. Turns out I have tendonitis :( and it could take WEEKS to clear up.

It totally sucks because Monday I start on my neonatal placement in ITU at the Sick Children's Hospital. I have to go back for physio if it doesn't improve but I really don't want to leave it in case it affects my placement.

Trust employees have access to a physio pretty much on a walk in basis. Gotta hate being a student... Can't WAIT til I qualify.

Grrr!

·
Registered
179 Posts
:( I hope you are able to manage to rest quite a bit at night so you can try and get over this. Tendionitis does suck.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Ugh, yikes. I fractured my knee when I was younger and had to have surgery on it...and I have bad knees in general. I know how much that pain affects everything you do. I hope you recover quickly.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Ouch!
I know this will sound strange but my Mother recently had a bad tendon injury to her hand. Dr's said there wasn't much they could do but wait to see if it improved and do surery if it didn't. Humph! After weeks of being unable to use her hand a friend suggested she rub castor oil on it! 8O It improved almost immediately and is almost completely usable now. Might be worth a try and certainly can't hurt. :D

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Hayley. That sounds really painful. :( I hope you're able to get some therapy for it.

nanook said:
After weeks of being unable to use her hand a friend suggested she rub castor oil on it! 8O It improved almost immediately and is almost completely usable now. Might be worth a try and certainly can't hurt. :D
Similar story...my dad (he's 76) had swelling and fluid buildup on his knee which he had to have drained several times. His Russian neighbor told him to wrap his knee in a cloth soaked in vodka(!) several times a day. My dad said he was going to try it for a couple of weeks. I thought it sounded crazy, but at that point it couldn't hurt.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but that was the last of his knee problems. He hasn't needed to visit the doctor since. 8O

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Have you tried wearing a brace on it when you're up and moving around? It'll help stablize the knee. Also, try an anti-inflammatory and PLENTY of rest.

But I'm not a Dr, just someone with bad knees. ;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't take anti-inflammatories because I have asthma :( That's what makes it ten times worse!

I bought something called freeze gel so I have using that and massaging it into my knee so hopefully that will help!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woooo! I went to my GP today because I wasn't entirely happy with what they told me at minor injuries and my GP thinks physio would be beneficial so is referring me :D at last some progress!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts