Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some serious help and advice people.... i had said before that TJ had taken to humping our new 10 week old kitten, he was rarly doing it, anymore, yesterday morning i notice TJ licking his "privates" didnt think anything of it, but he was doing it every 5 minutes, i told him to stop doin it, i walked into the bathroom a few minutes later to find TJ gagging n he was sick everywhere, so i just thought that he had got a fur ball, but then he carried on licking his "privates" or rest of the day and then this morning i wake up to him gaggin again nd he was sick but it was his food he had eaten, he then continued to lick his "privates" and he has used the cat litter every 10 mintues this morning? what could this be? does he havea bug or a water infection or what?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have no clue since I am new to cats, but hope you get it figured out. Going to the litter every ten minutes sounds like a UTI - does he pee everytime he goes to the box?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It sounds like he has some form of FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), which could include a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), as noted by Jan Rebecca. Left untreated it can be very serious, so it's good that you have a vet appointment today. I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Licking his "privates" and going to litter box every 10 mins. are classic signs of a urinary infection, which is serious and glad to hear you made a vet appt. Give us an update of what your vet says.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
In male cats, urinary issues are considered life-threatening emergencies. This is because if a male cat develops urinary crystals, those crystals may cause a complete blockage of the urethra, and THAT can be fatal in a matter of hours. As long as TJ is able to pee out urine, he's not completely blocked, and that's good. But if you notice him going to the litterbox and NOT expressing any urine, you need to get him to the vet immediately. Do NOT wait until this afternoon. Go NOW if he is not able to pee at all. If he is able to pass urine, then you can probably safely wait until this afternoon to see the vet.

Laurie

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
UTI. This is what my guy did after I brought him home. Constant licking and straining in the box.

THe vet used a catheter to...clear him out.... put him on antibiotics to kill the infection, and told me to put him on a good quality canned food.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well guys its been a couple of weeks since we took him to the vets, his on the mend! he was given 7 course antibiotics and anti inplamentry, still licking his privates when he comes out the cat box but i think its become a habit! thanks for the feedback guys xxx

·
Banned
952 Posts
That's good news! Don't neglect to bring him back for his followup - UTI's can be notoriously difficult to completely be rid of... and if even a little bit of the infection is still present when the antibiotics run out, it will come back.

So glad he's feeling better!

AC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts