Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8204

I don't know if you've heard of the internet forum term, "Agent", but it's someone from a business, group, or organization that comes to a forum to push their agenda/product/whatever.

Judging by this user's first post and their sig, I would not be surprised if this actually is someone from PETA. (Not just a regular member...) This kind of worries me, let's all try to keep an eye out.

Here is a quote and a link from a satirically written site about people on message forums. However, it does describe what I'm talking about very well.

For example, several Agents who have been hired to promote a new theater production will invade theater discussion forums, and while energetically plumping for their own production, they will pick fights, spread malicious gossip and post fraudulent reviews about competing productions. Some Agents are benign shills, while others are malicious crusaders.
- link

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Right well, maybe if they start to slander companies we PM them (One person to handle them PM wise) and explain the legal situation- truth or not, some companies would happily push to have a forum shut down for what may or may not be the truth, and peta does expand the truth.

I see they said about KFC in thier first post, since many of us have replied I guess its best to leave that.
Once they start going into the things you have described above I think it would be time to start giving them warnings or a ban.
I am happy for them to have thier opinion, but not to start imposing it on people.
hopefully the fact that they got quite a negative responce in that thread may put them off, or are they more persistant than I realised?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts