Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that Scully's stools have been semi-loose and tinged with a little blood. Not much, but enough to have me concerned. It was not like this before she had her kittens, but it's been four days since their birth. Is this normal?

Could the fact that she is emaciated have anything to do with it? She's been eating dry food (she doesn't really like the wet) and we're adding Missing Link supplement to it. I know Missing Link has a lot of fiber, could that be making her stools loose? She's fairly consistent, one bowel movement a day, and it smells pretty bad.

Plus nursing kittens seems to take a whole lot out of her, and while her kittens are growing, she has yet to put on any weight. She was anemic when I found her, less than two weeks ago, but she had fleas. She's since been treated, but her gums are still very pale.

I know this seems like a lot, but I'm a paranoid mom :roll: At any rate, I will probably be calling the vet tomorrow, but I really don't want to have to take her to the vets with the babies still so young.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Do you not have a vet that could come out to you considering the circumstances?? I think she needs to see a vet right away because of the blood in the stools...

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible. I don't really know the vet that well, he's associated with the rescue. I will try to look into it...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Our cat Drizzit, he has fairly loose stools from time to time,and there is blood in it the odd time. And the smell is the WORST. He been to the vets so many times. They don't seem worried because it isn't an 'everyday' thing. They said they could do all these tests, but basically told me to not waste my money as it could be anything even stress. I say keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I would supplement her diet with Nutrical and give her a very high quality food. As for the bleeding, the fact that she is anemic could indicate internal bleeding. I would definitely consult the vet asap.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, unfortunately vacation has ended and I'm at work today *grrrrrr* I will at least be calling the vet if not making a run up there. I'm curious as to how I would transport mom and kiddos. All in the same crate? I don't know if it might be a little too squished, or should I put the kittens in a seperate box?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I don't think you'll have to take the kittens with you. They're a bit too young. You shouldn't be gone too long. Tell the vet you have new kittens waiting, and she will take that into consideration. Just make sure the kittens ate and are in a warm, cozy spot until Mother cat comes home. I would take a stool sample --definitely! Let us know what the vet says, please.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the vet's today, and she said it may be just the stress of giving birth and the fact that she's just started eating again within the past week. I didn't bring Scully in, just a stool sample, and they'll call me. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
428 Posts
Has mama been wormed?

Has mama cat been wormed with some Strongid T wom medicine? It would do her and her babies good to worm her if she hasn't been. If the problem continues, after you've switched her to a premium food, further tests are indicated. Has she been tested for feluk or aids?

Good Luck

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry 'bout that guys. :D The bloody stool stopped after two days, and hasn't returned. The vet said it was probably the stress of birth and the fact that she had just started eating again after who knows how long she was starving. She's been great and healthy since then, but thanks for your concern.

P.S. lotocats- Scully has been de-wormed (at the vets) and tested negative for FLV or AIDs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts