Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat Sam has been scratching at his left ear on and off for the past couple weeks, I didnt think anything of it but for the past three days he's been going at it more than usual. I took a look at his ears today, and I did notice the one that he has been scratching at looks kind of shiny like there is wax or something at the base of the ear. I used an ear solution to clean his ear, and for now it seems to be ok, but if he starts scratching again tomorrow, I dont want to have to take him to the vet and put him through the stress just to check his ear. I have an ear medicine from my vet from when my dog got an ear infection, and it is used for both dogs and cats. Can I just use that for him and see how it goes before I have to resort to a vet visit? The ear doesnt look red or painful, and I dont see any ear mites, its just itchy for him and looks shiny at the base. Any advice would be helpful, Iv never had a cat with any ear problems.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The ear medication that I have covers a broad spectrum of ear problems, its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory. It helps with a lot of ear problems, from allergic reactions, ear mites, and general infections. I know if I call my vet they are going to say what they always do "we can't say anything until you bring the animal in". The vets in my area aren't the best, they are all about getting as much money from people as possible. I used to try just calling them to ask for advice, but they always end up saying the same thing about having to bring them in.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Yeah, I agree with AC. It seems kind of strange that the cat would get a random ear infection. I'm sure it could happen but I'd want to make sure that's all it was and not something more ominous that you're masking the symptoms of by medicating yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts