Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter saw this somewhere and thought it might be a friendly solution to an annoying neighborhood barking dog. :cool:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m thinking about buying one for my daughter’s dogs. She has two dogs and one a chocolate lab barks at her neighbors every time they are out on their patio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a great idea. I have neighbors two doors down that got a dog and keep it outside a majority of the day. Every time a door opens (anywhere in the neighborhood), a car door closes, someone walks by the house, or any noise happens that the dog can hear, he starts barking. And barking. And barking. Sometimes he does this in the middle of the night. It drives me crazy! Wish I had the money to buy a bark collar for them, but I doubt they'd use it...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would personally just go and talk to the neighbors instead of buying something. I had a neighbor leave a note for me once because one of my boys was barking all night. I had to rush my ex to emergency at 2 in the morning and thought the dogs would just sleep, but one didn't. I explained the situation and that we never left the dogs alone at night and everything was fine. I would have been very put off to find a bark collar left for me.

Not to mention, depending on why the dog is barking a punishment based device like a bark collar can actually make the dog worse if they begin to associate the shock from the collar with a person, child, dog, etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
I agree with possibly being put off by having this left. Plus, if they're not going to use it, they're sure as heck not going to return it so you can get your money back.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
No. No no no no no.

I completely sympathize that barking neighbor dogs are obnoxious. But bark collars are not a good solution. Dogs bark for a number of reasons, but they ALWAYS have a reason. Strapping a bark collar on does not fix the problem, but it sure can make it worse.

If your neighbor's dogs are bothering you I'd suggest leaving pamphlets for a local positive trainer in their mailbox, with a polite note that says their barking is disturbing you.

Kayla is spot on that bark collar can actually increase problems. Anxious barkers will still feel anxious, but have no outlet to express that. Aggressive dogs may become more aggressive, to the point of biting. A dog who was merely bored or excited before could become neurotic and/or aggressive.

Aside from that I have personally seen dogs with wounds from incorrectly used collars. Are you willing to bet that your neighbors will read the manual, not just strap it on and zap away? I wouldn't be.

If you absolutely MUST buy something buy one of these: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/DOGTEK-BirdHouse-Control-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B00ESMUWS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416001837&sr=8-1&keywords=bark+bird+house[/ame] and put it on your own property. They're another kind of bark deterrent, and they might bother your own pets, but they don't cause long term damage if used inappropriately. Added bonus - you can leave your neighbors out of it.

Bark collars are not nice. Positive training is a permanent and humane option.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
My downstairs neighbor (the ones before the people now) used this on her two blue tick hounds. She said they couldn't wear it too often or it gave them ear infections.

This is a stop gap solution, I wouldn't wish this on anyone's pet.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
*sigh* That's so sad Krissy... what would likely cause that is the collars would up the dog's stress, and that would cause an ear infection. :(

Bark collars are shock collars. They don't vibrate (there are a VERY small minority of remote collars that have an actual vibrate function - those are different), they apply an electric shock when the dog does a certain behavior. So they don't just hurt, they also tell the dog it isn't allowed to communicate.
Now there's a recipe for love.../sarcasm. :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bark collars are shock collars. They don't vibrate (there are a VERY small minority of remote collars that have an actual vibrate function - those are different), they apply an electric shock when the dog does a certain behavior. So they don't just hurt, they also tell the dog it isn't allowed to communicate.
Huh! I don't think this one does. I believe it just makes a hiss like the "Ssscat Spray"

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It seems to be this one: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Petiner-Basic-bark-control-collar/dp/B00JKER2YE[/ame] which is a shock collar. the bit where they say 'harmless static shock' is a bit of a misnomer. Sure, one shock once will probably be fine (except for dogs which heart issues - mentioned in small print in the manual only, btw), but we're talking about multiple repetitive shocks for up to 8 hours (according to the manual...most people I know who have used them just left it on all the time), in the same exact spot.

You can't exactly replicate that easily without buying a collar to test it out, but they can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T9qiGCq5sk

The only other ones that don't shock are citronella collars...which don't technically 'hurt' the dog, but they DO spray a smell dogs are known to hate all over their face and ruff fur. And then they can't get it off.

Other downsides to bark collars:
-They require a certain intensity to set them off. Smart dogs will learn to whine incessantly instead (personally I find this exceptionally more annoying)
-If the dog yelps after being shocked it will get shocked again. No mercy.
-Smart dogs will learn that some have an override, aka if they bark long enough the collar shuts off for 15m or so.
-Collars for larger dogs have HUGE prongs, and there are ones for dogs with longer fur as well...these can easily cause large wounds/holes if the dog hits something hard, or if a leash is attached (again, the manual says no...but many owners I've seen walking their dogs didn't pay attention)

TBH there's just no redeeming qualities.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Some of them DO vibrate. You can give them a 'warning' and then when it isn't heeded you can shock them.

IMO unless you're resolving the CAUSE of the barking... you're just adding to the cruelty by making them MORE unhappy. A dog doesn't stand around all day and bark if it's a happy dog.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow librarychick, you have completely missed the point. I’m not recommending any product and I surely don’t approve of shock. And in fact I only heard of this today, but I don’t have a problem with noise or even smell.
The whole point is that there are other more friendly ways to get a neighbor’s dog to stop barking than calling animal control which can lead to the dog being euthanized if the owner can’t pay the fine or starting a feud that could result in property damage or even someone getting hurt like I’ve seen so many times in the news. YouTube has hundreds of these stories.
I personally would rather pay the price of a device even if it doesn’t get used, just to keep the peace if at all possible. And I’m not talking about the occasional barking dog as some have mentioned. I’m talking about the dogs that bark nonstop every day.
Some neighbors have shot dogs and others have even poisoned them so I’m perfectly fine with the citronella collars. I once was so upset after a month a little yipping dog barking right next to my bed room window, that I fantasied about going out to find a stray pit bull to toss over the fence with the little jerk. Of course I never would do that and as it turned out, the people dumped it of at the dog pound anyway.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I haven't missed the point, I'm just saying a bark collar isnt a good option. As soneone who has met and worked with numerous dogs whos issues greatly worsened (from barking to resource guarding, biting, or neurotic behaviors) I'm saying you should consider other options.

If you're insistent about buying them something find a local positive trainer and purchase a set of sessions or a gift card. That way you're both actually helping AND not indirectly harming the dog.

Bark collars are illegal in quite a few countries. There are reasons for that. They aren't the harmlesd tools most people think they are. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts