Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm rather anxious. My 2.5 yr old rescued bengal is showing signs of a UTI. The strip U/A done a week and a half ago when he was just taking a long time in the box did not show a definitive UTI but did show a PH of 8.0-8.5 which is very alkaline. Since then his symptoms progressed to going in the box every few minutes. A return trip to the vet resulted in trying Clavamox. The idea being that if that fixed the problem and it didn't recurr then it was just an infection, but that if it recurrs or doesn't resolve then we have a different/bigger problem. So, he had four doses of the Clavamox and has shown no improvement and his uring is pink from blood and he is crying a lot. So, the Dr. prescribed Metacam (3.5ml/day for 3 days and tramadol (1/4 tablet twice a day for 3 days) to hopefully reduce his pain and stress.
So, I realize now backwards, came home, gave Jasper his first doses of both, looked them up online and am now VERY worried about giving him the Metacam... he is young, up to now has been healthy and it seems to be a low dose for a short time, so in the big scheme of things I think a low risk and I REALLY don't want him to be in that kind of urinary pain... So, am I crazy if I give him the other two doses or should I toss it?
It makes me a little nervous that my vet didn't mention the risks associated with this medicine but I'll deal with that...
So, I guess what I'm looking for is two things:
1) Anyone else dealt with these kind of urinary issues in a young healthy cat and if so, any suggestions? I have a fountain on the way and am going to try to switch him to wet food but he does not even recognize wet food as food... I might as well be offering him a screwdriver to eat...
2) Any thoughts on continuing the 2 other doses of Metacam?

Any thoughts on any of this that anyone would like to share would be welcome... I'm new to these issues...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm sorry your Bengal boy is having UTI issues.

I have the same issues with my almost 4yo Teddy. I have him on an almost completely wet, grain free diet. Bengals have very sensitive digestion and nutrition needs and should NEVER be fed any food with grains in it. (well no cat should anyway but it is a bigger issue for Bengals). I'm not sure about Metacam, but from what I've heard, it is really bad for kitties, even with short-term use. I don't know how to deal with the pain, but I know the more fluid you get in him, the better. The fountain works great for my boys.

To switch him to wet (and off of Mckitty-crack dry food) I would mix some dry food in with his wet. If he doesn't eat it immediately, don't worry about it. He will eat it when he gets hungry. If this doesn't work, you can try feeding by the spoonful. Some cats will eat it if they think you are giving them people food. ;) Also, since he has PH issues, avoid all foods that contain fish or shellfish (whitefish, salmon, lobster, crab, etc) like the PLAGUE.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a message.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your Bengal boy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attached (I hope) are picts of my family... I have 2 bengal boys, Jasper and Charlie, plus a British Shorthair, a special needs Russian Blue and a Micro kitty 3.5mths old, 2.4lbs... all except J & C are actually shelter rescues, but the breeds are what they look like to me... ;-) J & C came from a horrific pupply mill raid (650+ dogs, and every other breedable for money animal you can think of, including bengals)...
Thanks for the feed back... The good thing is that they at least eat Wellness dry (though I'm afraid I catch him sneaking the foster kitten's Science Diet kitten food as well)
I am gonna try to convert the two B. boys to wet (the other 3 devour it no problem) but they don't even care about people food... it is really like they don't recognize anything that's not kibble as food... may be challenging, but I'm at least gonna give it a try... fortunately no one has ever had any seafood flavors, so I'm grateful I didn't start that... I think if all 5 go on all wet, I'm going to have to switch to Natural Balance 'cause I don't think I can afford all wellness wet...
I'm gonna call my vet in the morn about the drugs and see if she can reassure me...
Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
are you sure of the dose of Metacam? Does it say anywhere on the label what the concentration is? (it will be mg/ml) because 3.5ml is a HECK of a lot of Metacam. There are two concentrations I am aware of: 0.5mg/ml and 1.5mg/ml. Even at the lower concentration the dose is still usually less than 1ml.

I would stop the Metacam. It is an anti-inflammatory and in general should help with a single dose. I personally will not let Metacam anywhere near any of the cats I own. We use it occasionally as a single injection or a few days of at home oral dosing at the clinic I work at. We're joined with a specialty practice who does use it on a regular basis. However, a clinic I used to work at had two or three cases of previously healthy cats go into acute renal failure after being on Metacam for a few days.

It used to be used "off label" in cats, but the manufacturer has started adding warnings to the label to not use as more than a single injection (honestly, I'm not sure about the oral formula) and that it has been shown to cause kidney failure when used in cats.

All those things aside - was a strip the only test of his urine? It isn't all that helpful without looking at a the sediment under the microscope. Much more accurate for red and white blood cells, bacteria and most importantly cyrstals. With a pH that is off, crystals are very likely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi OsnobunnieO,
Thank you for your concern and sorry for the delay... Jasper was back at the vet today due to no improvement with the Clavamox indicating what we feared... no infection but instead FIC. Also, the dosage of Metacam was a typo... I meant .35ml...
Today the vet took urine and is sending it off for a full analysis... in the mean time, becuase she is pretty confident that it is FIC she gave him an IM dose of Adequan and subQ fluids... I know it is risky, but my vet and other vets I talked to said that the Metacam was ok in such a small dose for such a short time and he was in SO MUCH pain... I decided it was worth the risk this one time until we confirm the diagnosis and come up with a management plan... since there are no totally safe pain meds for cats, anything will involve some risk, so we have to do the best we can and the risk is low but his pain is high...
The urine was completely clear and perfect looking but the blood was clearly coming from his penis... she said that his stream was strong once we confined him to allow his bladder to fill so currently his risk of blockage is low and again we are going to come up with a plan of management...
One concern I have is that stress seems to be a MAJOR factor in FIC but he is the most laid back cat I have, so I don't know what could be stressing him... he has plenty of space, but a brother who plays with him, especially at night... I play with him as well... I also foster for itty bitty kittens for animal control and he LOVES the kittens and they love him... so unless he is stressed on the inside by all this but showing total contentment and relaxation on the outside, I'm stumped on how to reduce his stress...
His fountain is on it's way and he has multiple climing trees in front of windows... and a screened in porch to bird watch in the warm weather...
I'm going to try to convince him to try wet food but I don't know if I will be successful... I'm remaining positive at this time...
Thanks so much for your input and please feel free to share any thoughts/insights that you like... I welcome information...
Best,
Lopn

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only advice I can give you is on the Metacam and I'm going to have to agree with Osno. I'd take him off the Metacam immediately and see if there is another type of medication he can receive for pain.

I lost my cat, Elvis to what I believe was Metacam. He had a several doses over a period of months (before I had researched the drug) and by the time I had caught the pattern on his vet bills, it was too late. IMO, it's not worth the risk. He had an upper respiratory infection, but once he started on the metacam, he went down hill. Fast.

Find an alternative pain medication if it's available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts