Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited! My SO and I just had a chat about fostering and I think we're going to do it!

I got a new job, and my hours let me be home more often, we got rid of all the junk in our basement last year...we've got space, I have time, and goodness only knows there are kittens. (Which is not a plus, but helping them is.) So I'm going to fill out a form and hand it in next week. I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We just got approved to foster! I'll hopefully meet with the coordinator later this week or on the weekend and we could have foster kitties as soon as next week! I'm so excited!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly why I was thinking about it Marcia!

I mentioned how much I've missed fostering to my boyfriend the other day and he said, "Well then, do it." So, after a bit more discussion than that, lol, I filled out the application.

I specifically said kittens and mums, I definitely need a baby fix. So if everything goes smoothly I'll have baby pictures to share soon :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The shelter could not have struck more lucky getting you as a foster mom and as for the future kittens that will come on a path via you they have struck gold!
Can't wait to see photos

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Ooooh, can't wait to see and hear your future adventure with fostering kitties! Pics of course will be the feast for my eyes! :love2

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Becky,
Any kitties you foster, are going to be sooooo lucky!!:p
I know you'll give them a great social start!:D
Sharon

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm meeting the organizer for the home visit - and supply drop off- on Sunday. As soon as I've got kitty news I'll be posting pics :)

I spent all afternoon tidying our basement, buying towels, rugs, and toys at goodwill, and setting up a kitten-proof nursery. its going to be a long weekend, waiting for the appointment.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That's very exciting! Those kittens will be very lucky to have you looking out for them and socializing them:)

Good idea about Goodwill too- I'd never think of that for cat stuff.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's official! I'm an approved foster home! Now I just need to wait to hear about kittens...lol. waiting is the hardest part.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
We are shocked where we live because it is full fledged kitten season but there are few kittens for adoption. I think the queens got pregnant later than usual because there are a ton in foster but none on our shelter adoption floor! It's quite miraculous really! You will love fostering - I adore doing this and hope to be able to do it for the rest of my life. I've learned my limits though - I cannot foster seniors. I only do kittens - I don't get attached to them like I do seniors and find it easier (as long as I keep them in the foster room!) to take back to the shelter when it's time.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's exactly why I picked kittens Marcia - It'll be easier to help pass them on. The nice thing about the rescue I picked is that I'll have a say in where the kittens I foster go! The prospective adopters will make an appointment to come visit our kitten room, and if I have a bad feeling about them, or a good one, I get to pass that info along to the rescue. I think that'll help a lot.

I just got the call (after waiting for what seems like forever, lol) and it looks like we'll be getting a pregnant female tomorrow evening! I'll start a post once we've got her, for now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not at all! I went with NASAP (Northern Alberta Society for Animal Protection). They're a really great group. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,372 Posts
Checking her "failure" rate? :grin:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol, both my boys were originally fosters. I had an adopter lined up for Doran, but she backed out on pickup day! Muffin we decided to keep since having a buddy made Doran easier to manage.

I adopted out 14 kittens and 2 adults, as well as TNRing 2 more adults. So out of 20 I kept 2...not bad. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts