Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-Looking for some advice. Tomorrow cannot come fast enough for me.

First I want to tell you about my kitty Picasso. He is about 7 years old. I got him from a shelter and he has been an only cat ever since I got him-although when I am on vacation he visits with Grandma and Grandpa who have two kitties. One of their kitties does not like him but he never shows any agression towards her-I have never even heard him hiss. However-he is spoiled-rules the house. I have to admit we are at fault for this. He is like our prince.

My brother called me today and said that a cat had been meowing at his house for a few days and he let it in but he cannot keep it where he lives. He really didn't let me know how badly in shape the cat was and of course once I got to his house there was no turning my back on the kitty. He/She looks old but it could be because he has been living outside for sometime. I really don't know how to gage his age. Also-He is matted and I believe has ticks on him and what looks like dandruff. I am afraid to really touch him and inspect him-I am afraid of possibly transferring something to Picasso. I am really trying to do the right thing-but I have to keep my kitty safe as possible. We snuck New kitty in tonight and he is confined in a room that Picasso is actually not allowed in.

New kitty is extreemly friendly. He/She had to be someones pet at some point. He is not ferral. I called two grooming places tonight and none of them would take him/her because it is a stray.

I am going to call my vets office tommorrow and try to get an appointment.

Do you think they will give him a good bath and take out the ticks? Do you think they will help me?

If they don't help me I am at such a loss of what to do. Also-Do you think I could transfer something to Picasso? I tried to keep my touching of new kitty at a minimum and have washed immediately after.

Any advice and or comments would be great.

Thanks for listening to my ramble

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
As long as you're willing to pay, the vet will help you as much as they can. Keeping them separated until the vet can give new kitty a clean bill of health, deworm, deflea, detick, etc. is the right thing, as is washing after handling him/her. I would even go as far a changing clothes and shoes.

Please google 'cat introductions' and follow a process of keeping them separated, scent swapping, limited eye contact etc. While your cat has not been aggressive at grandma & grandpa's, that's because it was not his turf. Introducing a new cat into his territory is a whole different ballgame. So do some reading and put together a loosely structured plan. And keep in mind that cat intros should progress based on the needs of both cats, they determine when to move to the next level by how well they respond to the current level of interaction.

Oh...and welcome to CatForum!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
blueflames said:
I took in a stray a year ago and she is the best cat ever!
Agreed. Strays make wonderful pets as a rule. When you take them into your home, you have immediately provided them with food, water, warmth, love, and security. Before that, they only knew cold, hunger, thirst, and fear. Strays do not forget what you do for them and as a result, they repay that by giving you years of love. Petey was a stray found outside the factory where I work and I took him in to my home.

Doodle's advice for taking in a stray and doing introductions is spot-on. However, I have found that introductions do tend to go easier in households where there already are more than one cat. Petey and Lilly Anne both came into my house with 4 cats prior to them. Sure, there was some hissing, but it was no big deal. After all the current residents were already used to multiple cats. And if a single cat previously spent its life around other cats, then introductions tend to go smoother. Munchie at one time was the only cat I had. But since he was around other cats since kittenhood, every other cat that came afterwards (Tooties, Poopsie, Willie, Lilly Anne, and Petey) was accepted quite readily. Only Petey and Lilly Anne received a few hisses. But then, those cats are about 1 and 2 years old respectively. Munchie is close to 14yrs old and as such, prefers to relax rather than be chased by those young whippersnappers! :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Bless you for taking on this kitty. A vet should be able to get all this kitty needs to be done easily. Your vet may know which groomers will do cats. Or your vet office may even groom cats. We have several groomers in my town that are willing to do cats. Keep checking around. Just dont tell them he was a stray but tell him if they wonder about the condition is he has been vetted. I looked to see if you were close to where I live to see if I could of given you a heads up locally by me but didnt see where you lived.

Its important you keep them separate till you have him/her tested for FIV/FELV. I would not be too concerned about transfering anything to your Picasso. If he were a kitten with a poor immune system yes but he is an adult with a developed immune system. My cats have seen lots and lots of sick cats come thru my house and never have come down with anything.

Any pictures of your new addition? BTW Welcome to Cat Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So sorry to report-Stray kitty had to be put down. My vets office-who was so nice and understanding and actually ate the cost of everything-examed him. He was young but had FIV. He also had a huge mass on his bladder. We had to make the decision to put him down. I cried like an idiot and my vet and their staff were so understanding and told me I was good to have given him a chance. The most I can walk away with is he had someplace warm and a full belly for his last night here. Although it does sting a little still a few hours later. But thank you for the advice. I am glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry that Stray had to be put to sleep. Still, it was WONDERFUL that he knew warmth, love and a full belly before you helped him go. If he hadn't had you, I am sure his passing would have involved much suffering.
Even though he had to be PTS, I still feel you were a life-saver, because you saved him from suffering.
heidi

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I'm so sorry that he was so ill. But you did a wonderful thing for him in his last hours and saved him from a miserable death out on the streets.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Im so sorry.

He didnt have to suffer and be hungry and frightened. You were his angel.

These kitties have a way of working into our hearts right away. You did a noble thing to take him in and help him so he didnt suffer.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that! :cry: Sometimes the cats that we spend the least amount of time with are the ones that affect us the most when they pass. Nearly 4 years ago, I found an injured kitty at a park and went to take him to an emergency vet to try to save him. But he passed before I made it home. I was devastated by that and wished I could have found him earlier, maybe even prevented his injury. But as some of our members here have said,the cat spent his last 20 minutes alive being around a person that loved him and tried to comfort him. And this cat also passed on in the warmth of a car rather than dying in the snow. Indeed as I was trying to get him home, his breathing became less labored as if he was beginning to feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your lovely posts. I agree it is the ones that we spend the least bit of time with are the ones that touch us. My boyfriend and I have been weepy all day and we feel silly. We went as far as going to Petsmart to see if there was a kitty for us to take home. We didn't take anyone home because we knew we were being impulsive even though we have thought about getting another kitty. I think I did the right thing. It kills me because he was so sweet and loving and just wanted to be loved. He had to be someones pet at some point. Heartbreaking. I would love to love them all but I guess it isn't in everyone's cards. Thanks again. Great board!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Tretred said:
My boyfriend and I have been weepy all day and we feel silly. We went as far as going to Petsmart to see if there was a kitty for us to take home. We didn't take anyone home because we knew we were being impulsive even though we have thought about getting another kitty.
If you have thought about getting another kitty, then I would not say you two are being impulsive at all. When you are ready for another kitty, you will know the time. You will be at PetSmart or some other place and a kitty will literally try to squeeze through the cage to get some kitty lovin.' That is when you know that the time is right. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts