Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens virtually every night.

When I go to lay down for nightly sleep, by cat Smedley will cuddle up beside me.
But after a few minutes he will get up, get ready, and pounce on me.

This is not a "irritate him by too much petting or touching a sensitive spot" or anything, mind you.

He gets up and faces me getting ready to pounce. I know it is coming because it happens nightly.

Anyone have any insight into this?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Hmmm?.....Could he be telling you it's not his time to go to sleep, "c'mon, mom, and play with me"?
Here are a couple of options:
1) ban him from the bedroom, so you can get a good sleep, best to put him in another room with door closed so he doesn't scratch at your door or bump it to get you up.
2) Get a wand teaser toy.....with feathers on the end, and give him a hard workout with it by flitting it onto a sofa, then floor, then chair etc. so that he's jumping up and down, and have him run up some stairs if you have them, and run a figure-8. My "Fitty" loves it if I throw the wand to run after, retrieve it and bring it back for more throws. Just don't let Smedley eat the feathers! And put away the wand after he's tired out somewhere he can't get it such as a drawer. If you get him really tired out, he may be too pooped to pounce! I would try this first, but you might have to resort to letting him sleep by himself. Just be consistent if you choose the latter.....give him a little snack before you go to bed....he should be satisfied with that and look forward to going to his room. The only time my cats sleep with me is for a late afternoon nap, but I need a good night's sleep to function the next day. All the best!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I agree with catloverami that tiring him out and then giving him a little food right before bedtime could solve the pouncing. You didn't say how old Smedley is, but it sounds like it could be excess energy, and your bedtime just happens to coincide with his wake-up-for-nighttime-hunting hour.

If you don't already have these toys, they might satisfy his hunting instinct while you're sleeping.

Some variation of this circle toy: https://www.chewy.com/fat-cat-crazy-circle-cat-toy-large/dp/53525

A souped-up version: https://www.chewy.com/catit-design-senses-circuit-cat-toy/dp/49908?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Catit&utm_campaign=hg

And my kitty loved this squeaky mouse that you can hang from a door: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/our-pets-play-n-squeak-batting-practice-cat-toy

However, you'd want to keep them away from the bedroom, as they do make noise. My girl would bat her little mouse toys around silently while I was up, but if she wanted me to get up, or just wanted my attention, she headed straight for the circle or the squeaky mouse. Every. single. time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
He wants more play! How sweet. I'd give him a workout for 10 minutes with a toy, or you can play a game I used to with my guy. I would put my hand under the top sheet or comforter and move it slowly so he would attack it and when he latched onto that hand I would get him with my other hand, he loved it! It's wonderful he thinks so much of you to act like a kitty.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
DizzysDad, that's a perfect game in this case especially, since Smedley likes to "hunt" in bed! I would move my feet around while doing a crossword puzzle, and Celia loved to pounce on them.

It also works well with a wand toy under a towel or thin rug. Even my Margaux, who pooh-poohed regular cat toys, couldn't resist that thing-moving-under-a-sheet/towel/rug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts