Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to say thank you for posting about Da Bird. I bought it after seeing threads on what toys your cats like. I got it yesterday and the boys flipped out. Foster was the one that took to it the most yesterday. He was doing flips in the air about as tall as me. :p

Today though is when it paid for itself. It has been the only toy to entice Salem to play. Ever since half of his leg was torn out by a coyote, he has been an inside only cat (same as Foster). Well it seemed after that incident back in '01, he never really played much. Oh he chases after me sometimes and that mouse that showed up got him to play a little but he never took to toys. Today that changed. He was acting like a kitten! Jumping up (though not very high but it proved the vet wrong, he said he would never be able to jump again) and grabbing it and shaking it in his mouth. He needs exercise, being between 22 and 25 pounds, so I am really excited about this toy. Still can't get them to eat pate can foods but this toy is a breakthrough!

Foster actually just brought it to me as I was typing since I left it in the living room. My cats and I are loving this toy so again I thank you guys for the recommendation. I also bought a laser pointer so I hope it also well go over well.

Are there any other toys that your cats really love? :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Catnip 'nanner!!!
Ha ha I have one of these....I think? RayRay likes it, but she'll do 3-foot aerial maneuvers like bastetsha's cats if da Bird is in da room.

bastetsha - the only other "toy" my cats like is milk bottle rings or ribbon - neither of which can safely be left out for them, but if you can remember to keep an eye on the rings they are a big hit. Ribbon has to be in-my-hand only.

A bird feeder attached to the window is a great amusement as well. Kitty TV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh! Strips of fleece (like 4 inches long and knotted at one end - mine look like an octopus) tied together by a ribbon and dragged around are also a big hit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't have a bird feeder where I moved to recently but back when I was living in a rural area, I had tons of bird feeders out. Salem would sit there chattering at the birds through the window screen. They really loved it when I would feed the crows and get them to come close to the window. :) I miss those crows...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I find Da Bird to be THE number 1 cat toy. My girls also enjoy Cat Dancer, although not as much as Da Bird. And, more recently, they've really enjoyed their little hexbug nano (a kid's toy).

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Murphy goes nuts over DaBird, but the problem was that he kept biting through the string. I found on Amazon another DaBird fishing pole toy, which is a small mouse at the end of the string, but the string is actually a wire. I'm happy to say Murphy goes nuts over the mouse toy too! I think those DaBird people just know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I bought a Da Bird this past weekend. It's a hit at my house too. Did have one mishap where I hit Harli in the head with it. It's so funny to see them run in circles when I'm doing a fly around the room. I give plenty of opportunities for them to catch it also.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
DaBird and the Cat Charmer are big hits with my girls. That mouse toy with the wire looks great, I will order that next on Amazon.

Just be very careful where you leave DaBird as it has a safety pin where the attachments go. Some cats have gotten injured while playing when not supervised.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Da Bird

Ritz loved loved Da Bird, especially because she sees lots of birds out on the patio that she can't get to.
Then I showed her the mouse toy ("Da Mouse") and she loves that more. She will clamp down HARD on the mouse when she catches it--indestructible. Hasn't grown bored with it after six months.
Note that there is also a "Da Bumblebee" and "Da Butterfly", not sure who makes it. Ritz showed some interest in the butterfly (pole with wire), but the bumblebee fell off right away. Might look for something similar--Ritz goes crazy when ever an insect gets into my apartment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So many good ideas! My wallet will not thank you guys. :jump

DaBird and the Cat Charmer are big hits with my girls. That mouse toy with the wire looks great, I will order that next on Amazon.

Just be very careful where you leave DaBird as it has a safety pin where the attachments go. Some cats have gotten injured while playing when not supervised.
I normally leave it up in my closet with their food when I am not playing with them but I forgot about it in the living room yesterday. I will be more careful from now on. :oops:

·
Registered
328 Posts
My cats actually like Cat Chaser (the mouse/wire toy) and Cat Dancer better than Da Bird. Lily actually won't play with Da Bird - she sits under the table and watches. Go figure.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The two favorites in my house is the Da Bird and these little mice PETCO Fuzzy Mice Cat Toys with Catnip at PETCO I have yet to meet a cat who doesn't go crazy for those mice! They are cheap, simple, and so much fun to watch your cats play with! My cats do fun things with them too, like put them in a box and get a running start leaping into the box after them, or burying them in the laundry pile so that they can go crazy searching for them. They are such goobs!

I also have this and my cats love it FroliCat BOLT Laser Pet Toy at PETCO

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Misa doesn't like da bird. It scares her....

Vinnie and Francis like the laset light and the cat dancer. Vinnie has a favorite with little balls.

·
Registered
233 Posts
da Fear

My one cat loved da Bird, then didn't for a while. Fear was what I thought she was feeling in my typically anthropomorphic way.

So I slowed down the movement, kept it low to the ground and if I would let the bird hide in a box or behind furniture and keep twitching it, it seemed to inspire more interest. It took me a very long time to get her interested again. Don't know what happened to scare her off....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts