Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in late 1964, my wife and I went with my College English class, by bus from UCONN, to the theater district in NYC to see "Tiny Alice", by Edward Albee. We got married in 1964, while I was still in college, because I was in ROTC, en route to a regular commission in the Army and a rapid deployment to RVN. It was a great experience for her because she was from Connecticut and I was from NY. Sure enough, I graduated on June 7, 1965, with orders to report to Armor School at Ft Knox, KY, in 3 days. Things moved fast from there!
My dad and you would have a lot to talk about :wink
He did the same thing through Purdue. It was through the Navy however. As a young guy, he was really interested in the Navy's Nuke program which was still fairly new. He spent 30 years on Nuke Subs and helped a lot with the entire program. He was even in charge of building the training sub they use in Groton, CT. I was born at Bacchus Hospital :wink

·
Registered
505 Posts
Amazing! My father worked at Electric Boat in Groton, in charge of engineering, and we lived in Waterford, CT! I was even at the christening of the Nautilus in 1955!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Amazing! My father worked at Electric Boat in Groton, in charge of engineering, and we lived in Waterford, CT! I was even at the christening of the Nautilus in 1955!
I don't remember a whole lot during my time there, I was still pretty young. My dad just retired a second time. He worked at a Nuclear Power plant after retiring from the military.

My little brother followed suit, and joined the ROTC program at LSU. The funniest father/son follow suit story ever came from this time.

My brother had been issued his ROTC uniform and the first full inspection was the following week. He brought the uniform home and my dad told him to save his money, that he would show him how to iron/starch an outstanding uniform VS a dry cleaner. My dad gave VERY detailed instructions on how to put pleats down the front of the shirt. No self respecting officer goes in uniform without those pleats. My brother, knowing my father knew everything about the military, carefully and professionally starched those pleats into the front of the shirt. Did I mention my brother joined the AFROTC and not the Navy ROTC?!

He was reamed big time over the uniform and even though this was over 20 years ago he still curses our dad out for the heck he went through that first inspection :wink

1 - 3 of 3 Posts