Cat Forum banner

Prayers for Muffin...

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Time Bandit 
#1 ·
I've just heard from my boyfriend at home, Muffin is very sick. He was ok last night when I put them to bed, but now he's pretty sick.

The way my boyfriend is decribing it Muffin is having a flare up from his feline herpes...hopefully some meds and a steamy bathroom will clear him up but I'm going to try and get him into the vet today.

Jitzu had the same symptoms last April, she ended up having to be hospitalized at the vets for 3 days...and she now has constant sniffles from the damage done to her sinuses. I had to force feed her for 2 weeks, hand feed her for another week, and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food.

I'm so worried that Muffin will have the same reaction. His Daddy is dosing him (and the rest of them for safety) with lysine mixed with baby food and has Muffin locked in the bathroom with the water on hot to help clear him up hopefully.

It's so odd that, just like with Jitzu, this literally showed up overnight. Yesterday he was completely normal. His happy-go-lucky snuggly self. This morning he's got fluids running down his face, is breathing through his mouth, and doesn't want to go anywhere.

See less See more
#7 ·
Crossing our fingers and paws here, please update us when you can!

#13 ·
Well he's sick. He has a slight fever, and the vet is a little concerned for him. He prescribed some antibiotics that I have to go pick up later at Save On Foods ("Hi, I'm here to pick up meds for Fuzz Muffin...?" lol)

Hopefully he'll eat something tonight, all four kitties skipped last nights dinner, and I'll have to medicate him then too. With luck he won't have to be hospitalized, but the vet said it was a possibility. His symptoms are identical to Jitzus when she was sick last year...We never found out what it was but I strongly suspect the feline herpes.

Poor boy is sequestered upstairs. I want to keep him away from the other kitties. He's been sleeping heavily since we came home from the vet.

I'll keep you updated.

#17 ·
I have great news! Muffin is feeling much better. He's still sniffling, but he ate most of his dinner last night by himself and when I checked on him this morning he gave me a big kitty hug :D

I told my BF (who's work has told him to take the week off 'cause they're lame) to let Muffin out today. He won't be allowed to snuggle with any other kitties, but I've been dosing everyone with Lysine so they don't get sick too.

Looks like your prayers helped, thanks everyone!

#18 ·
Oh this is such wonderful news! That is very sweet of him to give u a hug. He knows how much you guys love him.

It's nice that your BF's work let him off. Did he actually tell them of the situation and they were nice enough to let him off? Here at my work, they laugh at me (that crazy cat lady).

#19 ·
It's nice that your BF's work let him off. Did he actually tell them of the situation and they were nice enough to let him off? Here at my work, they laugh at me (that crazy cat lady).
No he didn;t phone in or anything...he works as a labourer in a welding shop and they just decided that he doesn't get to work this week. It actually sucks. The timing is good, but who wants an unpaid unscheduled week off??? (unless there's an emergency-type reason you have to take it off)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.