Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my cat is 9 months old.

http://www.pretztech.com/dev/salem.htm

Friday, we are going in to the vet and the vet is going to do the "consultation"/tests etc.

$36 for consultation
$14 for a stool sample?

I don't know, I know a lot of vets do various things, I am expecting this is going to be preop blood work etc. I am not quite sure what the stool sample is looking for preop for spaying? Regardless, we are going in for the consultation and discussing dates for spaying.

The whole deal is going to be $159. It feels high, but unfortunately... our cat is 9 months and isn't it important to get them spayed as fast as possible?... anyway... the only clinic we could find did theirs on May 3 area. We are going to ask the doctor/vet if he thinks it is ok to wait till early May... if he feels it is... do you think it would be alright to (once the consultation shows she can take the surgery?) take her then to a clinic instead of the sugeon? 5 dollars cheaper. The clinic is $60.

Regardless, my MAIN question is what should I know/be aware of to best serve my cat and help her through all this? Health risks, things to watch for afterwards, what preop stuff should I think about?

I know the doctos will talk about this but I think of all this as a second opinion and frankly, my cat is one of the best parts of my life and I take no risks!

THX!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Im in the uk, they didnt have any consultation or take stool samples.... for my girls it cost about £45 and for my boy he was about £36

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Stephen didn't have any pre-op. I took her in and that was it. I think it ran me about $45.

I won't go back to that vet, though. When they sent her home, she was still so drugged up that she couldn't move. She was so limp I thought she was dead. There was no after care whatsoever - so make sure you find out what their policies are on that.

BTW .. your kitty is beautiful!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think in SPCA they do it quite cheap. 40-45 $ but I do not know how well. Make an online search of SPCA, that's how I learnt about it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My girls were spayed last Saturday. The place I went was quite exensive but I like their care. I paid 270 CAD per cat (I know, it's a lot!). They did tests (no stool) right before the surgery (the same day). I think they took good care of them. They were fine when we got home - just slept the whole day.

They just called me today asking me how they are feeling. We are going there again this weekend to remove the stitches.

Maybe they want to check your kitty few days before because they don't have any medical history about her. I remember I had to fax the vet all medical history (bills from other vet).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts