Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I caught a pregnant stray cat that has been around my complex for some time. I know this isn't her first litter but I wanted to get her off the street so she can stop having kittens. Plus having kittens outside in a apartment complex isnt safe for the babies. It has only been about two hours since I brought her in and she is none too happy about it. I can tell she wants back out since that is all she has really known. She is sweet, and will let you pick her up and pet her...she has also eaten some already. My question is how can I help her to feel more comfortable here in my house and what is a good way to let her meet my other two kitties?? All of the local no-kill animal shelters aren't accepting more cats at this time - one said they would take her when her kittens are 6 weeks old.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I had to same thing happen to me, and now I have four kittens that will be two weeks old tomorrow :)

It's best to confine the cat, even though she doesn't like it. Give her a spot in the quietest room in the house and make sure she has a box or something for her nest.

I would not try introducing her to the other cats for a couple reasons. 1) Unless you're 100% sure she doesn't have fleas or any other parasites, you'll have a great big mess on your hands, and 2) mama cats tend to be territorial and aggressive towards other animals as they seek to protect their babies. I would try to keep the kitties seperated until she's more settled in at least.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
For the sake of your own cats, I would have her checked for contagious disease by the vet. She could also be spayed now, if you want. I took in a stray who was pregnant, and a kitten got stuck. She was spayed and sent home asap because there were kittens waiting at home. Of course, it would be better if she stayed with the kittens until they are weaned. However, she could get pregnant at any time.

I would isolate her and the kittens in "her" room. (my bedroom was the obstetrics ward!) I wouldn't introduce her to the other cats now. Just talk softly to her, give her a cozy, dark bed for her and the kittens, and give her lots of good food and love. I'm glad you caught her. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the fast replies. She is doing a little better...ate some more and is now sleeping on my dinning room chair. I did make her a little box with blankets inside and everything...she has no intrest in it yet. She is very friendly and even lets my 20 month old son pet her - under supervision of chorse. I'm trying to get the word out to see if anyone would want to add her to their family....but if we cant find someone who would want to take in a pregnant cat then she can have her babies here. Atleast I know she is safe...and her kittens will be too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
She's so lucky you caught her! I'm so happy she has a safe place to have her kittens. I would go with Jeanie and get her checked out to make sure she won't give anything to your cats. I'm sure she'll settle down once she knows she's in a safe place. Good luck with the kittens!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts