Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this might just be me being silly.

At the end of the month, I will be moving from a tiny apartment into a house. What is the best way I can prepare my cat for this so he isn't stressed out? I adopted him from a shelter last February. He has had two different owners before me. And he gets very stressed out when put into a cat carrier and I'm worried that he will be stressed when we get into our new place. I guess what I am most worried about, is bringing him to our new home, and then having to leave to go back to the apartment to get more stuff. I don't want him to think I abandoned him.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I got a Feliway plug in about a month before I moved and the night before I moved the cats I put it in the new place to let it fill that place up with the...stuff.

I completely emptied the bathroom and on the day of the move I put them in there with their carriers, litter box, beds and water. Then when I got them to the NEW place I put them in the new bathroom with the same stuff. They stayed in there until the movers left and I knew I was there for the night. Then I let them out to explore. All my stuff was there when they came out of the bathroom and I put their favorite blankets down on the couch and made the bed right away so they had familiar smells.

My MowMow is Mr. Sensitive and I thought he'd have a LOT of trouble but... it went fine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yes! What Krissy says about using the same stuff -litter box, beds, food, water- is very important. I even brought a bottle of the same water I gave them in my old apartment. And the confined room (bathroom for instance) is also a must.

Maybe you can leave the carrier with the door opened so you kitty can get used to it, even play with it or sleep inside...that way he won't be afraid of it when he sees it.

My "MowMow" is Mr. Gatito, so sensitive. It took him a whole week to adapt (under the bed, crying at nights). But now things are perfect and my cats own the place ;)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts