Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another posting, we have put a deposit down on a purebred Bengal with show/breeding rights from a well respected breeder. Our little girl will be coming home in early June. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to the breeder yet (husband did all the work...technically "his" cat and he likes the name Luna). But he is agreeable to a raw diet. I am assuming the breeder isn't feeding the kittens raw when they send home a bag of Royal Canin dry food (ugh).

When we get her, I am assuming we will need to transition her to raw from the wet/dry food she will be used to from the breeder. I know kittens have huge appetites and am guessing she will be extremely active (hence my appendage to her name...LunaTIC). How should we transition her to raw? Right away? Slowly? Would it be okay to leave dry (ugh) kibble out for her during the parts of the day when we are both at work? (That isn't often, but there are a handful of days each month when we both work the same shift and she would be home alone for several hours). Do we start with canned food and kibble..then slowly transition her? I don't want a "kibble monster".

We are looking for a second kitten for company. And I am really hoping her name isn't permanently Lunatic!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ooh no idea about the food thing, but I am just thrilled for you!!
Can't wait to see more pix of your little Luna!! And maybe Luna's buddy to be ?

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Carrie the only thing I know, is if you feed raw, you can't feed dry...
I think It's ok to feed canned and raw...but I'm not swearing to it!
I hope our "Resident Foodies" jump in here for you!
I'm so excited for you and hubby! :D
Sharon

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I truly think the whole "can't feed dry when you feed raw" thing is a myth. You can mox raw and canned, canned and dry, but not raw and dry? Doesn't make sense at all. Digestive systems dont move slower because of some food or another. Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Mochas Mommy-
10cats is right. You can't feed dry food and raw at the same time. Kibble takes a longer time to digest in the kitty's tummy, so you don't want to do that while Luna is eating raw. You'll probably need to eliminate dry from her diet altogether, and start with wet food for a while before serving her a bit of raw food.
Whether you choose to go prey model raw or ground, will be up to you. Again, these sites are recommended for raw:
How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet - Feline Nutrition

I hope you make some excellent acquaintances and let us in on some info too!

Again, congratulations on your new adoption! Hope you keep us posted of all of Luna's new life coming into your life! :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
... but they do digest at different rates. Some foods your body can process very quickly, others not so much. When I was throwing up a lot a few days last year I had to look into foods that would digest quickly, I needed something I could hold down long enough that I could digest it. I was very hungry.

Cook and Garden: Digestion Time of Various Foods

For cats which are carnivores, their digestion time is really fast compared to ours. They don't want the raw meat sitting in their body long enough to get something like salmonella. When you mix kibble with that, something that is more complex to digest, it makes the raw sit along with the kibble in the digestive tract and can lead to bacterial issues.

I would just put down some raw and see if she eats it. If so, no need to worry about anything else.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...I do want her to be raw exclusive, especially to help her keep her ready for shows. I was just concerned about the few days in June when she might be home alone. Once July comes, I am off work until September.

I know kittens need to eat often and if DH and I are both working the same day, she would be alone from 8am-about 4pm at the earliest. That is a bit long for a kitten to have no food.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I don't really know if it's true, but I've read on that breeder's website that Bengals require more taurine. If so, I guess buying some powdered taurine from the health food store or online and sprinkling them on her food could help. I also know you could also give her more raw chicken hearts, too, if that were the case. (Hearts are the most active muscles, which contain high amounts of taurine)

My suggestion for when both you & your husband are away at work is to buy some freeze dried treats and hide them throughout your home so she can hunt and scavenge them while you're gone, hopefully as a snack. You could also use these if you have hardwood flooring:Amazon.com: Petsafe SlimCat Meal Dispensing Cat Toy, Blue: Pet Supplies

Maybe other Bengal owners can advise you more?

·
Super Moderator
18,400 Posts
What form of raw are you planning on feeding? Commercial? Homemade Ground? Frankenprey? Whole Prey? It will matter for your transition plan...and maybe you need to start with commercial or homemade ground and then transition to a prey model.

You can feed kibble, just not at the same meal...you want several hours between a kibble and raw meal (probably 6 to 8 ).

If it were me...I'd get her on canned first. Then you can mix canned and raw as needed. If you need to leave a meal during the day, there are some commercial raw nugget products that thaw quickly...you could put them in a timer feeder just before you leave the house. Some timer feeders come with ice packs. So you could experiment with how long it takes the nuggets to thaw and stay cold and whether you need ice packs. You could also freeze canned to put in a timer feeder.

I believe the Instinct line says you can mix their kibble and raw. They also have the raw boost kibbles with freeze dried raw nuggets in it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Doodlebug.
I am going to visit the Bone and Biscuit store to talk to them about their commercial raw diets to start her off on. I don't want to be experimenting with all the vitamins and taurine etc while she is a growing kitten. I suspect in about a year we will be transitioning her to homemade raw. I have found a naturopathic vet who specializes in homeopathy, nutrition planning, supplements, nutraceuticals, tailored vaccines, etc that I want to see if I can visit...and decide if we are a good fit.

I still think 6-8 hours is a bit long for a very active kitten to go without food....I guess I will learn quickly when she gets here and starts howling for food (hopefully 3 weeks today!)

·
Registered
893 Posts
MM---
So happy for you and your husband!!!

We all understand the pain you have experienced these past months. The living legacy of Mocha is all you have learned since then and can apply it to Luna (and perhaps a buddy as well)

That is the way I look at the passing of Blues (who would have been 16 today) and her sister Rhythm (who would have been at least 14 this coming Tues).

Harmony and Cricket are eating better, and getting more informed medical care because I am a better advocate for them. All due to the legacy of Blues and Rhythm.

·
Super Moderator
18,400 Posts
For commercial raw for cats, my favorites are RadCat and Vital Essentials. VE has a cat line that comes in tubs. But I checked with my rep and he said the dog line can be used for cats...it meets their nutritional requirements. The cat line is about marketing/branding. The dog line has patties and nuggets.

I like these two lines because there are no fruits and veggies or added vitamins. They also do not use high pressure pasteurization.

Instinct and Primal are probably two of the biggest raw lines, but my customers haven't had a lot of luck transitioning cats to it. Cats seem to like RadCat and VE much better.

Holly was 12 weeks when I got her and immediately put her on 3 meals a day with no issue. The breeder thought that was fine. Cats in the wild don't have access to food 24/7, they have to hunt first and at that age aren't very good at it. I don't see any reason a kitten over 12 weeks needs more than 3 meals a day. (and if your kitten is going to be less than 12 weeks...big red flag).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stopped one of the local raw food providers after work today; they showed me Carnivora. I wasn't too impressed that it was for both cats and dogs. They briefly mentioned the RedDogBlueCat line....and then showed me the irRAWsistable line.

The person I talked to said to just feed Luna all raw right away. I am a bit hesitant as that may be a big change of diet for her system...especially if the breeder has kibble down. (Really hoping we can go visit, see Luna, and talk to the breeder about her nutrition there this weekend. )

When I asked about feeding on those few days we both are at work...first suggestion was to feed her before we left and as soon as we got home - leaving her without food as kittens aren't great hunters and she'd be hungry if she was just learning to hunt on her own. (Didn't go over well with me). Other suggestion was to leave some canned or raw out for her...didn't go over well either as I am not leaving food out to spoil and then be eaten!

I just checked the website of another local raw food provider and think I will go check them out. They have the RadCat line Doodlebug mentions (and we all know Doodlebug gives great advice)!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Elemental Canine in Cloverdale.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Have you looked at Amore Pet Foods? They're in Richmond. I don't remember how much you had to buy, but they do batches without the vegetable. I think it was 3lbs or something like that. Not cheap, but they seem like a pretty good alternative if you don't want to do it yourself.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zuma...I just looked on Amore's website and they list Elemental Canine as a company that carries their food. I don't see them listed on EC's page though. I guess I shall have to go visit EC next week (after Rodeo weekend as they are RIGHT on the main parade street). Luckily I work in Cloverdale and all these raw food places are right there!

We will eventually do our own raw....just don't want to start making our own while she is a baby.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts