Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I don't know much about the people running for President for 2004 but I have noticed that Bush is the only "strong" republicin running and the other popular ones running are all democrat? I think I am, no, I know I am more republican so I am just disappointed that the main candidates running are all democrat, except for Bush. Unless, am I missing something? I basically only know what's going on in the race while watching the Today Show while getting ready for work each morning. I do kinda like John Edwards, the young guy, from SC. What do you all think? Anyone know of another Repoblican running for President other than Bush?? Also, wouldn't mind hearing everyone's veiws on the candidates....

·
Registered
917 Posts
no republican will run against him so they don't steal vote for him, i believe. i don't think they care all that much, just that it is a republican.

as for me, i took an online survey and seemed to match up the best with kerry. kinda surprised me, but he does seem to share my environmental veiws which is a major major deciding factor with me.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
What you're seeing is the democrats deciding who they're going to run in the 2004 Presidential elections. You might recall four years ago when both parties were doing this. That is because the incumbent president (Clinton) could not run again. President Bush can, so there's no need for the republicans to find more candidates. Democrats will narrow it down to two candidates and then vote on who they will send to the Presidential elections (I believe this is called a "primary"). Then you will have the democratic candidate (probably Kerry) running against the republican candidate (Bush).

I don't know much about the democratic candidates. I was leaning towards Edwards, but for no other reason than he kept his word to Jon Stewart and announced his candidacy on the Daily Show. It was to his detriment, but he did it because he promised he would. I respect a man who can keep his promises. However, I will vote for the democratic candidate simply because I would like to see Bush out of office.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
does anyone know of un-biased internet sites to gather political information? It's easy enough, usually, with the presidency, but what about senators, etc. ??

Sad to say I'm 24 and have only voted once (in our last governor election - which I wasn't really prepared for). I didn't vote in the last presidential election b/c I was sure Bush would win.

After all controversy, I'm making sure I know what's going on and casting my vote.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well mismodliz, there really are no such things as "un-biased internet sites". :lol: But I tend to visit the candidate's sites and sites of political watchdog/advocacy groups to see who they are recommending. For example, both NOW (National Organization for Women) and Planned Parenthood have report cards on voting records for incumbents and endorsements for cadidates. I also check the groups I don't agree with, to make sure I don't support their candidates. You can get a good idea of how someone really feels about issues by the endorsements they accept.

I know in New York the Board of Elections sends out a voter's pamphlet listing all candidates running, all referenda and info written by each side. You might be able to find one in your area at your local post office. And remember, every vote really does count!

·
Registered
492 Posts
http://www.vote-smart.org

I like this site, it's the one I used. You can check out all kinds of info for all the candidates, including voting records for members of Congress. They also have available the NPAT, the National Political Awareness Test, where the candidates select specific issues they support. Of the Top 4 Democratic Candidates, only Edwards and Clark filled it out, and only Clark filled it out correctly.

I'm very excited to be voting Saturday! When I turned 18 (I'm 22 now), I went right to the Secretary of State to register, lol :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts