Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught this pretty little butterfly on the butterfly bush last week. There was also a hummingbird moth on the same bush, but his little wings were going so fast, my camera just made a blur out of the photo. Was neat to see him though, had never seen one before.

Giant Swallowtail butterfly

This is the hummingbird moth. http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/hthysbe.htm

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
An amazing photo, as usual. :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

I find identifying butterflies and moths to be interesting, and like to find out the unique facts on them. Though I hate creapy crawly bugs like spiders and such, the moths and butterflies are very delicate and beautiful. Last year, back at our old house, we had a couple different types of the gigantic luna moths in our yard, along with some other very unique types that actually look quite odd. One I thought was rather interesting was pink, yellow, and fuzzy! http://bugguide.net/node/view/47722/bgimage

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was going to say, if you've taken that without a dSLR you've done very well.

The problem with insects on bushes is the depth of field - at wide aperture it's obviously just a few millimetres so that part of the subject is not in focus. But yours is spot on.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
akiralx said:

The problem with insects on bushes is the depth of field - at wide aperture it's obviously just a few millimetres so that part of the subject is not in focus. But yours is spot on.
Thanks Alex! It was completely by accident.........trust me! :lol: I'm still a newbie, and trying to learn as I go. :wink:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Merry, that little guy was really cute........and smart too! I found him on the garage floor back at our other home, and nearly stepped on him. He flew away, and the next day I found him clinging to one of my lead ropes out in the barn.

Isn't it funny to find "bugs" cute! :lol: I'm sure I'll have more to post sometime soon.......cool bugs just seem to find me! 8O :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
The universe is so full of beautiful & humorous bugs! I love photos cuz they capture the beauty surrounding us every single day. You do a beautiful job of capturing them. keep sharing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
OwnedByACat said:
akiralx said:

Thanks Alex! It was completely by accident.........trust me! :lol: I'm still a newbie, and trying to learn as I go. :wink:
Well you obviously have talent... :p tracing your shot back to your website, it was shot at f/5.6, a medium size aperture, ideal really. Plus the wings are both about the same distance from the camera.

If you have a wider aperture like f/2 then there is less depth of field, i.e. at that distance only a few millimetres on each side of the focus plane is sharp. Nice for portraits with a blurred background, but can mean the head of a bug is blurred while his body is sharp - a problem I've had.

Another is you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the little critters, especially bees who are never still!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts