Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before Christmas we discovered my heart kitty, Miso, has spondylosis on her spine, right by the base of her tail. It was causing her quite a bit of pain, she was obviously very unhappy, wasn't able to poop because it hurt too much, and became very defensive when people touched her because she was expecting it to hurt. We put her on Metacam for the pain, and some joint supplements. We've played around with the Metacam a bit, dosage wise (by "we" I mean my vet and myself, at my vet's instruction) and have come to the conclusion that for now, she has to stay on Metacam daily. She gets one drop a day.

Miso is only 2 years old, and at this point we're not sure if the Metacam is going to be a permanent thing. I know that it can cause liver and kidney problems, so I'd like to try and do as much as I can to try and prevent those problems from occurring. I've had people tell me that Milk Thistle is often given to people and animals experiencing liver or kidney problems. Can Milk Thistle also be given as a preventative treatment?

·
Registered
273 Posts
you could try SAMe. it is helpful in promoting production of phospholipids (promote better bile flow) and in part is converted to glutathione (powerful antioxidant that protects the liver).

i don't have any idea as far as dosage goes so check with Misos' vet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts