Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the price of shots would be for a kitten who's never had shots before. Idk if you remember but I was going to get this free kitten and then get it's shots. But I could get a kitten the same age from someone else. It costs $85 but it's already had it's shots. I know it probably varies from every vet but what's the average it would cost to get a kitten it's shots?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It varies from vet to vet. Out of the 3 local vets in my area, I go to the cheapest for shots, and the more expensive for more important stuff. At my vet a Feline distemper 5-in-1 is $13.00. Feline leukemia test is $20, and the shot is like $16. Rabies is only $14 and I'm not sure about any other shots.

Also, does this $85 kitten have ALL it's shots? (Distemper, F/L, Rabies...) and is it fixed? Alot of the time that's included in the cost.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For a first distemper on a kitten my clinic charges 35 dollars and that includes an exam along with the vaccine. You also should have the kitten checked for feline leukemia and FIV along with having a stool sample checked to make sure he doesn't have any worms.

The test I believe is around forty dollars and a fecal is twelve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically I guess my question now would be should I get the free kitten, they're just looking to give it to a good home, or should I get the $85? The free one I would have to go shortly after and get it's shots but I wonder if the shots would cost less than $85....what would you do?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Call your vet and ask them how much your looking at for shots. They should be able to give you an estimate. Also, you might want to see each kitten and see which one you "click" with the best. You might find the free one is more friendly, or the costly one more pretty? Sorry for the cliche, but just follow your heart when picking out the kitten. That's what I did with Misty. See, when I went to the shelter, I was originally going for a long haired, blue eyed, male. When I got there, though, the white kittens were wild because their dad was a stray. (the mom was SO pretty and SO sweet, but I needed a kitten because my cat would hate a full grown cat even more than a kitten.) Then I saw Misty, in a carrier, by herself. They had already given away her brother. The people at the shelter didn't care for her, they said she was boring, but she was really sick. They were so glad for me to take her off their hands they gave her to me for free! (yeah, before I spent $200 on vet bills trying to get her better...) Anyways, she's just the sweetest thing! I'm really glad I got her instead of the kitten my mom wanted me to get. After all, she's MY kitten, not my moms. Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to visit each of the kittens separately and play with them and see which one is friendlier, etc.
Of course, I still have to convince my parent's to let me get one. Ugh. *sigh*

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha no I'm hoping to have everything planned out before I get the kitten so that when my parents say 'yes' (WHICH THEY WILL SOON....I hope :( ) I can go right away and get what I want. Hehe. I've called the lady with the free kitten twice to make sure she still has it. I just found out about the $85 kitten yesterday.
Come on parents!!!!!
I gave them a 2 day break of me nagging them...I'll have to start again tomorrow. Mwahaha I can be very annoying when I want to!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts