Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my trash out yesterday morning... and I walked past a little toad in the parking lot. He was really young and I figured it was dead. On the way back I poked it with my shoe and it was still alive so I moved him to the bushes. He had a little blood by his mouth, I wonder if the complex owner's cat (she lets him out) got to him?

I got home last night and he was still there. He had moved deeper into the shrubbery, but he was still hanging around... so I ran to Petco for some pin head crickets and some substrate then to the dollar store for a big plastic container (if he lives, I'll either let him go again when he seems bigger and stronger or buy him a real terrarium).

Last night he snarfed down a cricket and this morning two more were gone. Either he's eating or they're escaping into the apartment.

I've never had an amphibian so.... I'll be reading a lot today.

Meet Prince Charming (I thought it was the perfect name considering my track record with men). For reference, he's about the size of a silver dollar right now.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
AWW, he is beautiful. We had a similar experience with a little gecko. We kept him and the little thing lived a long happy life with us. His name was Scorpy. Let us know how he does. He is awfully cute!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
MowMow, you are awesome! Prince Charming (love his name) is adorable, and certainly lucky you took the trash out when you did! :D I can't wait to hear how he does. Wonder if anyone knows what type of toad he is?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doodlebug, don't think I didn't consider it....

Unfortunately I work the opposite way. I seem to start with Prince Charming and AFTER I kiss them they turn into toads.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Have you checked the lost ads on Craigslist or had him scanned for a chip? Someone could be missing this little guy, especially if he's a purebred.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh, I hate people who buy purebreds. There (both purebred AND owner) are riddled with health issues and are seriously lacking compared to the mixed breeds.

I'm pretty sure he's been fed low quality dry food so whomever may have lost him don't deserve to get him back. I'll keep him because he's much better off with me!

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I should have known better....

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Now that Prince Charming has been living with you for a day, I'm sure that your are already a toad expert and will be able to diplomatically tell everyone else what they are doing wrong with their toad.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's no time for diplomacy! Innocent toads are dying daily because people aren't caring for them properly!! If people are so sensitive they can't take the truth about their lack of education in proper toad care/nutrition then too bad. Then they shouldn't have gotten a toad in the first place! ALso, there are unscrupulous people who BREED toads. Seriously! Instead of adopting, they pay for toadage!

Let's not change the topic though, which is proper care of toads.

Dr. LEon Zobereonski who is OBVIOUSLY a qualified spokesperson and has far superior credentials than any other pathetic excuse for a human (and could not possibly in any way EVER be wrong in opinion), plainly states that wild caught toads and frogs are often malnourished when caught.

Insert ungodly lengthy quote where a simple link to the web page would do
and

follow up with equally lengthy article thinking it adds to the thread when it's just the same person as above repeating the same thing in a different article
So, if a person is not prepared to do what is necessary to ensure that the quality of living for their toad they should to send it to the shelter so it can find a proper home and buy themselves a big faked stuffed toad to enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Not prepared? Check

Ordering stuffed toad online? Check

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, all I know is when I adopted MY toad I researched for days on proper nutrition and then I searched out the very best food for him.

I'm now in search of a vet who is a toad expert, but I would never consider taking my toad to any other vet.

My dad, he knows everything about everything and he explained that toads are amphibians, not reptiles.

He also drove a Volvo and knew the leading Engineer at NASA.

I have a toad.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I think you really need to find a toad only vet.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried, but the toad only vet near me pushes low quality toad food. I would never tolerate that. Besides, I need to find a completely holistic toad only vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I know a couple of witches who may also be toad experts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts